2005 CAMRY oil change frequency

brg

Hello,

TOYOTA recommends an oil change every 5000 miles or 6 months (whichever is earlier).But my dealer has recommended every 3000 miles or 3 months for city driving. Wanted to see how other TOYOTA owners follow oil change schedule.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

i've seen doing the oil change every 3,000 miles is the best for a car. Syntheic oils claim oil changes every 5,000 10,000 even 15,000 miles with some of those mobile 1 "endurance" oils. I"ve seen that those claims r based on very certain driving conditions, like the car is driven every day, u use premium fuel, no high reving, no extreme colds/hots climates, theres a myriad of certain conditions they mention in small print when claiming those ultra high mileages for oil changes. I've seen personaly in my vehicle when i used to use normal oil, i could feel a loss of power after 2,000 miles and the car owuld start to get slightly less fuel mileage so changes every 3K was good, i'd usually do it sooner based on how i was driving. Now i switched to mobil 1 syntheic, its great oil makes the car run smooth and have plently of power compared to when i used to use normal oil. I tried once to see how the car handles a oil change at 5K, once it got up to 4K the car started to get significanlty less miles per gallon, no power loss but the car started to give off a certain fume i'v never smelled before, so i immedietly got it changed once i noticed the problem.

My advice deff change it at every 3,000 miles. My camry is a work car 100miles per day on a average day, right now it has 141,000 miles on it and it runs perfectly smooth and fuel efficent as the first day i brought it home

• 2 years later...

Since the auto manufacturer made the car I'm sure they are best to tell us how to maintain it. It is a waste of resources to change the oil every 3K miles. That is old school. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations on all items and you will be in good shape for many many miles.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2009 Camry SE and i change my oil every 5 months or 3k miles. I do alot of city driving and by the time i'm around the 3k mile mark my oil has a dark tint to it. I curretly run 5w20 synpower by valvoline and a pureone premium oil filter. If I was driving more with more highway miles i would go maybe 4k miles at the most.