1994 Toyota Camry rough idle

canute

My 1994 Toyota Camry (4 cyl, 2.2 litre 4 dr sedan automatic transmission, 72000 miles) idles rough when I stop at a stoplight while in DRIVE or when I am in Reverse . Otherwise it runs smooth in Drive when I am driving slow or fast.

I also have another problem. The car jerks slightly when changing gears in DRIVE .

Can you please tell me what could be the problem? the dealer says that I have to replace the engine mounts while another garage says I need a tune up. Is it a problem I can fix on my own?

Thank you for your replies. Some more info.....

Bought the car in April 2005 with 62000 miles on it (dont know how it has such low mileage. the carfax report was good with only one previous owner). Now I have 72000 miles on it and only drive it approx 100 miles a week. I got the oil changed around a month ago and have added approx 600 miles since then. I get the oil changed every 3500 miles. I had the timing belt changed in July 2005 at the Toyota dealer. Other than these I have not had any other work done. Please can you give me a recommended list of work that should be done so I can avoid getting screwed at the repair shop? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for your replies. Some more info.....

Bought the car in April 2005 with 62000 miles on it (dont know how it has such low mileage. the carfax report was good with only one previous owner). Now I have 72000 miles on it and only drive it approx 100 miles a week. I got the oil changed around a month ago and have added approx 600 miles since then. I get the oil changed every 3500 miles. I had the timing belt changed in July 2005 at the Toyota dealer. Other than these I have not had any other work done. Please can you give me a recommended list of work that should be done so I can avoid getting screwed at the repair shop? Thanks in advance!!

You'll probably just need spark plugs, new filters, maybe new coolant...not much. If you still have a maintenance guide with your manuals, check out the 60k service. You've already done the timing belt, but some of the other stuff wouldn't hurt.