86 corrolla

herman

Hi;

A friend is giving me her 86 corrolla wagon. Automatic, 241,000km. It failed aircare. Besides a leaking valve cover gasket, I am told it needs a new exhaust, especially the part that starts at the manifold and a new oxygen sensor, a modulator, (what is it and where is it?) and fuel pump. This what they were told by their mechanic.

Any suggestions about possible problems, what to look for?

thanks herman

Hi;

A friend is giving me her 86 corrolla wagon. Automatic, 241,000km. It failed aircare. Besides a leaking valve cover gasket, I am told it needs a new exhaust, especially the part that starts at the manifold and a new oxygen sensor, a modulator, (what is it and where is it?) and fuel pump. This what they were told by their mechanic.

Any suggestions about possible problems, what to look for?

thanks herman

Unfortunately, by the time you do all those repairs, you've probably exceeded the value of the car. At this point, you may want to consider donating or selling the car, and finding something in a little better shape. I hate to be the one to tell you that...but you'll probably spend less in the long run.

• 1 month later...

I, too, received a free 1986 Corolla, but a sedan. It had about 174,000 miles. I just spent $500 on it and this is the way I look at it: it was free. It needs to last me 2 years until I get my life back in good financial order (too long a story to tell here) and even if I spend another $500 on it, I still am ahead. I simply hope that it will make it that long. I think it will.

I, too, received a free 1986 Corolla, but a sedan. It had about 174,000 miles. I just spent $500 on it and this is the way I look at it: it was free. It needs to last me 2 years until I get my life back in good financial order (too long a story to tell here) and even if I spend another $500 on it, I still am ahead. I simply hope that it will make it that long. I think it will.

Congrats on the free car!

• 3 weeks later...