Battery Problems

volache

After dueling with the dealer that I pruchased and brought my '03 Camry for service, I found and located the "case of the die-ing batteries" problem MYSELF. As I suspected there was a electrical draw. [Quick lesson to check for a battery draining power (aka "parasidic draw") when the car is off - by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the negative battery terminal, then hooking up a 12 volt bulb between the disconnected negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal with all switches and all electric turned off including the dome light, if there the test bulb is bright, then there is a constant draw from the battery (which there was). If there is only a very dim light, it is normal.] I removed fuses one at a time checking the light bulb each time to see if it dimmed. When I took out the final fuse (isn't always the last one) the test bulb went very dim which is good, almost no draw. That fuse was for the power seats. In checking the seats my son noticed that the power seat button was out of place and jammed in the "on" position! Apparently someone either jammed something between the door and seat or something caused it to break, but there is was - the switch "on" drawing down the battery, even when the key is out! The Bad News, the dealer on Sunrise Highway, in Amityville on Long Island NEVER checked the electrical system or this quick check as they wrote up in the service order and insisted that I buy a replacement battery from them. Friendly advice, do NOT buy from or bring your Toyota for service to a certain Toyota dealer on Sunrise Highway, in Amityville on Long Island, that is near the ATLANTIC ocean

After dueling with the dealer that I pruchased and brought my '03 Camry for service, I found and located the "case of the die-ing batteries" problem MYSELF. As I suspected there was a electrical draw. [Quick lesson to check for a battery draining power (aka "parasidic draw") when the car is off - by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the negative battery terminal, then hooking up a 12 volt bulb between the disconnected negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal with all switches and all electric turned off including the dome light, if there the test bulb is bright, then there is a constant draw from the battery (which there was). If there is only a very dim light, it is normal.] I removed fuses one at a time checking the light bulb each time to see if it dimmed. When I took out the final fuse (isn't always the last one) the test bulb went very dim which is good, almost no draw. That fuse was for the power seats. In checking the seats my son noticed that the power seat button was out of place and jammed in the "on" position! Apparently someone either jammed something between the door and seat or something caused it to break, but there is was - the switch "on" drawing down the battery, even when the key is out! The Bad News, the dealer on Sunrise Highway, in Amityville on Long Island NEVER checked the electrical system or this quick check as they wrote up in the service order and insisted that I buy a replacement battery from them. Friendly advice, do NOT buy from or bring your Toyota for service to a certain Toyota dealer on Sunrise Highway, in Amityville on Long Island, that is near the ATLANTIC ocean

Ouch...thanks for the warning. Any chance it could be a simple mistake, or is this standard operating procedure for them?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like good information but in the meantime with the daily high temps in the low 20's, are there any caveats (sp) to putting a battery "maintainer/trickle charger" on to keep the batt up until the Dx can be performed? Hurry...she's agoin fast!

Before it's...

TooLate