Is it possible? (seating question)

mphil804

I still have about half to pay off on my 2000 Corolla so I've come to terms I'll be using 'er for a while. But since I'm 6' 3" (yeah, why'd I buy it? hahah) space is a little tight, even with the driver's seat all the way back. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to move the seat back on the floor rockers (or whatever the metal rails it sits on are called) without actually removing those rails from the floor and drilling new holes for it. And if it is possible, would I need a mechanic's guide or would I just want to take it to a shop or a capable friend? I don't usually have passengers in the car so it wouldn't be a problem for the back seat - I just want a little extra space! Thanks for any info or insight.

I had a friend modify his jeep's driver seat in a simular fashion. He went as far as even welding the seat in the correct spot and being ENTIRELY happy. Then, A cop pulled him over and impounded the car, saying that the modification of the seat endangered the driver and that the altering of the seat was intirely illegal. Vehicle was named unsafe.

Mind you, this was in oregon... we've got wierd cops here.

I had a friend modify his jeep's driver seat in a simular fashion. He went as far as even welding the seat in the correct spot and being ENTIRELY happy. Then, A cop pulled him over and impounded the car, saying that the modification of the seat endangered the driver and that the altering of the seat was intirely illegal. Vehicle was named unsafe.

Mind you, this was in oregon... we've got wierd cops here.

Interesting. Though I've never been pulled over and doubt that I would, in such a low profile car like mine. Though I am curious if the process necessarily requires welding or not. I'd rather not do anything too permanent or complicated to pull this off if possible.

i dont know of anything that says you can do that.

I suppose if you get the base proffesionnaly moved, that would be okay...

You may have difficulty getting someone professional to do it for you....way too much liability with moving seats. It becomes a safety issue.

You may have difficulty getting someone professional to do it for you....way too much liability with moving seats. It becomes a safety issue.

You raise a good point. Is there an alternative (if any) or is it possible to find a way to do this without taking it in to my Toyota dealership, which may say the same thing you just said.

EDIT: I just called my dealer and they said they aren't able to do that but perhaps an aftermarket modifications shop may be able to help.

This is a great issue a lot of people encounter. And a great post. And I appreciate it, because us tall guys who bought 1994-2000 Corollas must be thinking, "what were we thinking?"

1. If you have that kind of seat modification done, which I think will involve serious welding and cutting and possibly subframe issues, whether or not it was done by someone who specializes in this type of work is irrelevant.

2. If you get pulled over by a cop, the problem is that your car modifications will be evaluated at a low constitutional law standard (rational relation test) because driving has been determined to be a privilege

and not a right.

3. Beware of the opportunity to be a defendant in a civil case! If you hit some hapless bloke, regardless of the fact that they were cited or ticketed and you were not, if there is ANY question as to liability you will be sued, and the plaintiff will call whoever made the welding mods to your ride after they find out who he is after your responses to interrogetories they propound on you.

This is a great issue a lot of people encounter. And a great post. And I appreciate it, because us tall guys who bought 1994-2000 Corollas must be thinking, "what were we thinking?"

1. If you have that kind of seat modification done, which I think will involve serious welding and cutting and possibly subframe issues, whether or not it was done by someone who specializes in this type of work is irrelevant.

2. If you get pulled over by a cop, the problem is that your car modifications will be evaluated at a low constitutional law standard (rational relation test) because driving has been determined to be a privilege

and not a right.

3. Beware of the opportunity to be a defendant in a civil case! If you hit some hapless bloke, regardless of the fact that they were cited or ticketed and you were not, if there is ANY question as to liability you will be sued, and the plaintiff will call whoever made the welding mods to your ride after they find out who he is after your responses to interrogetories they propound on you.

That sounds about right. I had called a modding shop and asked them why they couldn't help me, if it was a technical or just legal problem. And they said it was mainly legal. One of the resulting problems with altering the seat would be essentially forfeiting your right to an insurance award if you get into an accident and only total the car and/or harm yourself - though I have to say I don't see the connection, except that maybe insurance companies want an easy out. : P I guess in the end I just have to live with my car until I've a.) gotten my money out of it or b.) have reached equity on the loan and can trade it in. Thanks for all the great responses, everyone - I think this probably saved me some time and a headache or two.

• 3 weeks later...