Brake warning light: What are the possible causes?

corollaowner01

Can anyone tell me all the possible causes of an intermittent lighting of the brake warning light (on the dashboard)? I know some of them... the emergency brake is in fact all the way off, and the brake fluid has been consistently on the "full" mark. Could it be a simple problem with the switch making the car think the emergency brake is still on? Could it be a lot worse?

Any help you can give me before I spend a lot of money having it looked at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me all the possible causes of an intermittent lighting of the brake warning light (on the dashboard)? I know some of them... the emergency brake is in fact all the way off, and the brake fluid has been consistently on the "full" mark. Could it be a simple problem with the switch making the car think the emergency brake is still on? Could it be a lot worse?

Any help you can give me before I spend a lot of money having it looked at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check the level of your brake fluid, it might be low. If so, fill it to the proper level. Also, if your fluid level is low it is also a sign that your brakes may need to be serviced. When was the last time they were serviced? Check your front pads and rear shoes. I bet one or both of them may need to be replaced.

Does the intermittent light come on at specific times (say, when you're going around a curve, or the car is leaning somehow)?

I just bought this car in April/May (it was a used 2001), so I don't know when the last time pads/shoes were replaced.

Low brake fluid level isn't the problem; like I said, I have checked it numerous times and it's always at full.

Does the intermittent light come on at specific times (say, when you're going around a curve, or the car is leaning somehow)?

No, there's nothing specific about the times it comes on. It's coming on most of the time now.

I just bought this car in April/May (it was a used 2001), so I don't know when the last time pads/shoes were replaced.

Low brake fluid level isn't the problem; like I said, I have checked it numerous times and it's always at full.

No, there's nothing specific about the times it comes on. It's coming on most of the time now.

Most likely your brake pads/shoes are worn. Have a mechanic look at them, or you can do them yourself. Good luck!