port on bottom of radio?

weirdal

I recently bought a 1994 Camry XLE and noticed that on the underside of the radio (the radio is tilted up, exposing the bottom), there is a port on the left side.

I couldn't really get a good look at it, it felt similar to an ethernet port though. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it either

Does anyone know what this could be?

I'm hoping it is some kind of auxiliary input because I'm tired of using a cassette adapter for my ipod.

I have easy access to it, the radio is tilted upward, exposing the port on the bottom.

I was thinking about a modulator, but it seems pretty expensive and overly-complicated. If this is a line-in port then I can just get a simple cord for a few bucks and save myself the trouble.

If it really feels like a square jack, then put a phone cord in it and see if it snaps into place. If so, it's an RJ-11 or 12. If not, it's an RJ 45.

like I said, It was hard to get a good look but I felt it and it felt like a phone jack or an ethernet port (square)

If it really feels like a square jack, then put a phone cord in it and see if it snaps into place. If so, it's an RJ-11 or 12. If not, it's an RJ 45.

Steve,

Everytime I read a post from you like this, it always impresses me. How can you know this stuff...and remember it from an older car like that?

If that port turns out to be an RJ-11 or RJ-12, it would be a 4 or 6 conductor connection designed to save space. But I don't think I have ever seen one on a factory stereo. Ditto for an RJ-45, which is the typical connection for twisted pair networks (CAT3 CAT5, and the new EIAT certified CAT6). It may turn out to be a proprietary modular connector for a remote amplifier connection. Who manufactured the unit?