REMOTE STARTER

mtrent

HAS ANY ONE TRYED TO HAVE A REMOTE STARTER INSTALLED IN THERE 2005 COROLLA  YET AND IF SO WHAT KIND AND HOW MUCH?

Before you buy a remote start, check to see if it's compatible with your car. If you have a Toyota alarm, you might have a problem because a lot of Toyota factory installed alarm systems will have a kill switch as part of the system, and that presents a problem with a remote start. Some of the remote start systems will trigger the engine kill switch and the car won't start.

Thanks for posting this. I have not yet worked on an '05.

Before you buy a remote start, check to see if it's compatible with your car.  If you have a Toyota alarm, you might have a problem because a lot of Toyota factory installed alarm systems will have a kill switch as part of the system, and that presents a problem with a remote start.  Some of the remote start systems will trigger the engine kill switch and the car won't start.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me a bit more info on this in layman's terms? My daughter has an '05 Corolla with existing factory keyless entry. The Toyota dealer tells me that they don't install remote start in that year/model, because "there are problems". They didn't elaborate. An after-market audio/security shop locally told me they can absolutely do it, but it requires a "hidden key" be kept in the car somewhere, and that the original factory keyless entry fob/system be replaced with the new keyless entry/remote start system. I was planning to give this installation to her as a Christmas gift, but now I'm not so sure it sounds like something I want to/should do. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mark

Can anyone give me a bit more info on this in layman's terms?  My daughter has an '05 Corolla with existing factory keyless entry.  The Toyota dealer tells me that they don't install remote start in that year/model, because "there are problems". They didn't elaborate.  An after-market audio/security shop locally told me they can absolutely do it, but it requires a "hidden key" be kept in the car somewhere, and that the original factory keyless entry fob/system be replaced with the new keyless entry/remote start system.  I was planning to give this installation to her as a Christmas gift, but now I'm not so sure it sounds like something I want to/should do. Any ideas?  Thanks!

Mark

I think the problems they refer to are because of the chips in the key...the aftermarket shop will take on of your master keys and hide it near the ignition so the car will actually start with the remote start. Without the key in the car, the car thinks someone is breaking in when the remote starter tries to start it, and won't start. If the aftermarket shop is positive they can do it, go ahead...but make sure they've done it successfully on the same model.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Anyone have more information on this? I went to get one for my girlfriend as a birthday gift - I wanted to install it myself - My Dad said to check with sources to see about security, alarms, kill switches - sounds like this is a bit of "trouble" - local place wanted $210 installed and I (she) would lose a master key as it would have to be "hidden" in the car...

I am not to down with this option...

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Jake

That sounds pretty close to the right price...and the part about keeping the master key in the car. Check around a little; try Circuit City or Best Buy for decent pricing. It may be worth spending the extra few bucks to have it installed professionally. Also, if you have it installed by a reputable place, you have recourse if there's any issues with installation.

If she doesn't have the factory alarm system, she doesn't have a kill switch in her car. Do you know if her car has a factory alarm system?

• 2 months later...

HAS ANY ONE TRYED TO HAVE A REMOTE STARTER INSTALLED IN THERE 2005 COROLLA YET AND IF SO WHAT KIND AND HOW MUCH?

That car seems to have the same anti-theft features you need to bypass as the 06 Matrix I just installed a remote starter on. All you need to get to do the remote start feature is a UNIVERSAL BYPASS MODULE which is readily available at your local WALLY-MART for $30(which is where i got mine from) It comes with fairly detailed instructions and how to use. In short the master key goes into it and when the vehicle is remotely started the bypass will turn on via a signal from the remote starter and will then broadcast the keys signal up to the keyhole and the car will then run!! And it was as easy as I just said to actually install it. What i did to the key after I confirmed it was working well was file the edges around the key chip and actually remove the chip and only put that chip inside the box, so if a thief realizes there may be a key in the under dash area they are wrong,, only a chip. If you are not able to remove the chip you can file the metal of the key and then make sure it no longer fits in the engine keyhole so you have assurance that if a thief is gonna try to use it against ya, it wont work. Keep in mind both methods make the key permanently useless for manaul key starting after that is done. If your remote starter supports a stater kill, and if you hook it up properly once you press lock on the keychain, it will arm the starter kill so even you , trying to use your own key the starter will not crank , only will crank during remote start, or if you press unlock on your keychain which will turn off the starter kill. If you go with the starter kill feature you can leave your key in-tact in the bypass unit and have some piece of mind that it wont be used against you. I hopes this helps!! Dont let anyone tell you that you can just cut the chip off and put it up behind the ignition cylinder because the whole assembly up there is shielded from behind, the chips signal can only be picked up by placing that chip right in front of the keyhole(this I know becasue I gave it a try)