93 XLE HEAD GASKET

Honacvtec

I recently got a Camry from a friend for Free it Has 198,000 miles on it, It has an over heating problem to come to find out the head gasket is no good. My mechanic is telling me not to rebuild it but to get another motor and is charging me $1,500 for the motor swap ... now I am trying to figure out is this a good deal for the swap .. and do you guys know where i can get a good deal on a motor

thanks Andre :unsure:

$1,500 isnt bad for a new engine.. but a head gasket would be much cheaper..

If the car came free - and the new motor is in good nick, it'll be good for 100k, if its taken care of, so look at it as $1500 for 50k trouble free motoring... assuming you trust the guy!

$1,500 isnt bad for a new engine.. but a head gasket would be much cheaper..

If the car came free - and the new motor is in good nick, it'll be good for 100k, if its taken care of, so look at it as $1500 for 50k trouble free motoring... assuming you trust the guy!

$1500 is pretty cheap, especially if that includes labor. But you should definitely look into that head gasket replacement instead...unless the head gasket problem caused the engine to terminally overheat. A head gasket is at worst a few hundred bucks.

from what my mechanic is telling me is that there is coolant is everywere sd that fixing the head will cost me about 1500 and putting in another motor + labor ..would be 1500 thats how much he charges for a swap like that from what you guys are telling me thats a good deal! now he is in process of looking for a motor for me but i was thinking if i could get a motor were would be a good place i have checked ebay not that many on there seems like the junkyard is the place to be ....when i get a chance i will take some pics and post it on there the mechanic is closed today

from what my mechanic is telling me is that there is coolant is everywere sd that fixing the head will cost me about 1500 and putting in another motor + labor ..would be 1500 thats how much he charges for a swap like that from what you guys are telling me thats a good deal! now he is in process of looking for a motor for me but i was thinking if i could get a motor were would be a good place i have checked ebay not that many on there seems like the junkyard is the place to be ....when i get a chance i will take some pics and post it on there the mechanic is closed today

Junkyard might be the place to start...unless you can find someone selling another old Camry that runs but has a lot of physical problems like rust, body damage, etc. You could buy that pretty cheap and do a transplant!

Have you pulled the spark plugs yet?

• 2 weeks later...