60,000 mile maintaince

Dontoy

I have a 97 Camry with original 60,000 miles and runs good but what to have replaced for preventive maintaince? I am wondering paricularly about the timing belt on this 2.2l 4 cyl eng and what is the going price to have one changed and what's envoved...pulling the engine? It seems fairly tight in there. Thanks for any Info or advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I am no longer a mechanic, but I do recall changing the timing belt on my 1994 Corolla and I did not have to pull the engine. See if you can get away with taking the biscuit out of the engine mount on the timing belt side. The Camry should be similar. A Chilton's or Haynes manual should tell you if you can get away with going that route. I had to take the biscuit out and then I put a jack under the engine with a chunk of wood I cut off of a 2x4 (to protect the engine) and raised the engine like one inch and I managed to get it in there. It did take over 2 hours to do the job, so consider that time is worth $$.

I have a 97 Camry with original 60,000 miles and runs good but what to have replaced for preventive maintaince? I am wondering paricularly about the timing belt on this 2.2l 4 cyl eng and what is the going price to have one changed and what's envoved...pulling the engine? It seems fairly tight in there. Thanks for any Info or advice.

Timing belt, tune-up, replace all fluids, inspect everything...that's what's recommended at 60k. I did it at 87k, and it was just fine. I talked to the technician, and they also said 80k is okay. In fact, I think Toyota changed the recommended timing belt replacement interval in 1999 or 2000 to 90,000 miles between belts.

Not sure what's involved, but I'm pretty sure they don't pull the engine.

-LeighCM

• 1 month later...

For the 2000 Camry 2.2L 4 cyl, I recall the toyota manual recommended 149,000 KM for a timing belt change, that is about 90,000 miles...To change it I saw the mechanic had to suport the engine and remove the front engine mount in order to access the timing cover etc. I think they removed the wheel and splash guard also..

A hoist and air tools are great to have to do the job. It's a tricky job to do at home...

The prices vary from shop to shop. Private shop is cheaper.

The dealer are a bit pricer I believe the dealer price was about $200 + taxes for a timing belt.... I replaced all the other belts at the same time at a private shop for about the same price.

For the 2000 Camry 2.2L 4 cyl, I recall the toyota manual recommended 149,000 KM for a timing belt change, that is about 90,000 miles...To change it I saw the mechanic had to suport the engine and remove the front engine mount in order to access the timing cover etc.  I think they removed the wheel and splash guard also..

A hoist and air tools are great to have to do the job. It's a tricky job to do at home...

The prices vary from shop to shop.  Private shop is cheaper.

The dealer are a bit pricer I believe the dealer price was about $200 + taxes for a timing belt....  I replaced all the other belts at the same time at a private shop for about the same price.

Check and see if you have a replaceable fuel fitler, also I recommend a compelte trans flush, as drain and fill doesn't get it all. You can do it yourself, I would advise, but I am trying it myself for the first time so search on the net, you can go auto-rx.com and look under the trans flush it will tell you how to do it yourself.

Fram G7767. His fuel filtr is a replaceable one. Crowfoot wrenches come in handy for this----Metric, regardless of vehicle location.

Check and see if you have a replaceable fuel fitler, also I recommend a compelte trans flush, as drain and fill doesn't get it all. You can do it yourself, I would advise, but I am trying it myself for the first time so search on the net, you can go auto-rx.com and look under the trans flush it will tell you how to do it yourself.