Impressions after 3.2 of ownership

oldnslo

Vehicle in question is an 08 Camry SE with 2.4L & spd auto and 3.2 K miles

The following is a list of items that in my opinion are both good and bad about this vehicle. None of these would prevent me form buying another Camry.

NOTE: Opinions are like ass holes... everyone has one and they quite frequently discharge the same substance.

Safety Concerns:

1) Excessive large blind spots caused by large windshield and central doorposts. I suspect some of this is due to the side air bags. Rear view mirror also creates a large blind spot for me. NOTE: Almost all new cars have this problem.

2) Brake pedal and accelerator are to close together for size 15 boots. Real easy to apply the brake when going for the accelerator or a worse condition is, getting the side of your boot caught under the brake pedal when going from driving to braking condition.

Safety & or Inconveniences:

3) No Key lock in passenger door. This is really bad since I will not carry the “Loaded” (push-button remote) key in my pocket. Almost every time I try it sets off the alarm or locks – unlocks the door or trunk etc. Trying to let wife in first is impossible and if parallel parked you now must stand in the street to unlock the vehicle.

4) Vehicle is very susceptible to being blown around by side winds. This may be a combination of the SE suspension and steering as well as the vehicle height. Don’t recall the Caravan being this bad though…. But it has been a few years since we sold the van.

1) Transmission shifts are very smooth.

2) Seats are reasonably comfortable and seat height is better than most. Note: This contributes to Item 3 below.

3) Body panel fit and finish appears to be better than previously owned vehicles.

4) Hood has self-supporting hinges or struts. I never have liked the support rods since they are always in the way.

Dislikes:

1) This is the worst starting Fuel Injected vehicle I have ever owned. It cranks for 7 – 12 seconds minimum before it will start. Once started it runs flawlessly. I have tried turning the key to the on position in hopes this would allow fuel pump to pressurize the injector rails. No change. Does the fuel pump run with key in the on position? Or only after the starter is engaged? I can’t hear the pump run so am unable to tell.

2) Headrests are slanted to far forward and very uncomfortable for both my wife and I. We cannot get them adjusted to comfortable position. Only way is to lean the seat back like we are driving in the “Hood”. I removed the drivers head rest.

3) Extremely noisy in the cab. Note: This is really loud anoying. Only a slight cross wind and this vehicle howls like a banshee. I have checked window and door seals for fit and installation. Tried cracking windows open etc. Can’t seem to find a single source of this problem. Also transmits what seems like a lot of road noise into the cab. This may be in part due to the SE suspension.

• 1 month later...

I will address just two of your concerns.

The headrest situation. I would NOT recommend you continuing to drive without the headrest in place. Very Dangerous. These prevent bad whiplash injuries in a wreck.

The blind spot question. Please go to http://cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/ This gives good directions on adjusting mirrors to eliminate blind spots. You will find this to be against a typical setup but you will find that it works.

The blind spot question. Please go to http://cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/ This gives good directions on adjusting mirrors to eliminate blind spots. You will find this to be against a typical setup but you will find that it works.

Dapqam,

nice arcticle but the blind spots I was refering to are caused by the mirror hanging so low as took to block my line sight when sitting at an intersection and looking to the right. Between the rear view mirror and the corner post you can easily hide two vehicles.

Roy

..cranks for 7 – 12 seconds minimum before it will start

now that's crappy..

Does the fuel pump run with key in the on position? Or only after the starter is engaged?

If you don't hear the pump, it's most likely is not running. ECU turns on the pump, not the key. If Toyota didn't changed too much from my Corolla, it only runs, when engine is turning (when injectors and ignition system are "firing").

• 1 month later...
Vehicle in question is an 08 Camry SE with 2.4L & spd auto and 3.2 K miles

The following is a list of items that in my opinion are both good and bad about this vehicle. None of these would prevent me form buying another Camry.

NOTE: Opinions are like ass holes... everyone has one and they quite frequently discharge the same substance.

Safety Concerns:

1) Excessive large blind spots caused by large windshield and central doorposts. I suspect some of this is due to the side air bags. Rear view mirror also creates a large blind spot for me. NOTE: Almost all new cars have this problem.

2) Brake pedal and accelerator are to close together for size 15 boots. Real easy to apply the brake when going for the accelerator or a worse condition is, getting the side of your boot caught under the brake pedal when going from driving to braking condition.

Safety & or Inconveniences:

3) No Key lock in passenger door. This is really bad since I will not carry the “Loaded” (push-button remote) key in my pocket. Almost every time I try it sets off the alarm or locks – unlocks the door or trunk etc. Trying to let wife in first is impossible and if parallel parked you now must stand in the street to unlock the vehicle.

4) Vehicle is very susceptible to being blown around by side winds. This may be a combination of the SE suspension and steering as well as the vehicle height. Don’t recall the Caravan being this bad though…. But it has been a few years since we sold the van.

1) Transmission shifts are very smooth.

2) Seats are reasonably comfortable and seat height is better than most. Note: This contributes to Item 3 below.

3) Body panel fit and finish appears to be better than previously owned vehicles.

4) Hood has self-supporting hinges or struts. I never have liked the support rods since they are always in the way.

Dislikes:

1) This is the worst starting Fuel Injected vehicle I have ever owned. It cranks for 7 – 12 seconds minimum before it will start. Once started it runs flawlessly. I have tried turning the key to the on position in hopes this would allow fuel pump to pressurize the injector rails. No change. Does the fuel pump run with key in the on position? Or only after the starter is engaged? I can’t hear the pump run so am unable to tell.

2) Headrests are slanted to far forward and very uncomfortable for both my wife and I. We cannot get them adjusted to comfortable position. Only way is to lean the seat back like we are driving in the “Hood”. I removed the drivers head rest.

3) Extremely noisy in the cab. Note: This is really loud anoying. Only a slight cross wind and this vehicle howls like a banshee. I have checked window and door seals for fit and installation. Tried cracking windows open etc. Can’t seem to find a single source of this problem. Also transmits what seems like a lot of road noise into the cab. This may be in part due to the SE suspension.

did you seriously remove the headrests? Not to act like a parent or anything but without the headrest that car is basically a death trap lol

did you seriously remove the headrests? Not to act like a parent or anything but without the headrest that car is basically a death trap lol

Yup, removed it bent the side bars a littel so it leaned back at a reasonable angle the reinstalled them. As far as safety, when did head rests become standard? Been driving since 76 and I am pretture sure most cars back then didn't have them and people still drove...

Yup, removed it bent the side bars a littel so it leaned back at a reasonable angle the reinstalled them. As far as safety, when did head rests become standard? Been driving since 76 and I am pretture sure most cars back then didn't have them and people still drove...

really? you sure about that? I'v been in 1 rear end collision before and I guarantee that if i didn't have my head rest positioned correctly I could of easily gotten seriously injured.

"Since January 1, 1969, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 202 has mandated head restraints in the front outboard seats of all new passenger cars. On September 1, 1991, head restraint standards were extended to pickups, vans, and SUVs."

"In December 2004, NHTSA upgraded FMVSS 202 to require head restraints that are higher and closer to the back of people's head"

^ http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/neck_injury.html

Dislikes:

now i dont know much about the camry but if the fuel pressure regulator is vacuum operated which it probably is than you might have a vacuum leak which would make all the fuel go all the way back to the tank which would make the pump have to pump the gas all the way to the injectors just to start the engine which would cause that extremely long cranking time.

Dislikes:

now i dont know much about the camry but if the fuel pressure regulator is vacuum operated which it probably is than you might have a vacuum leak which would make all the fuel go all the way back to the tank which would make the pump have to pump the gas all the way to the injectors just to start the engine which would cause that extremely long cranking time.