Odd Start

Naz

My 98 camry 2.2L LE has started making a odd sound when I first start the engine. The problem occurs first time i turn it on after its been off for about 12 hours. It seems cold/rain make the problem worse. It sounds like i'm not holding the key in "START" long enough and its JUST turning over with a kind of knock/thud noise. If i hold the key in "START" a tiny bit longer it doesnt seem to occur and starts normally, but its hard to hold it the right amount in fear of holding it too long. It has 154,000 miles on it right now and this has been happening for a while now, just that its getting cold so its more obvious. So far though np starting the car after the initial start so i'm not sure what the culprit could be. My only guess, maybe something is clogged like a fuel filter? or needs a new ignition coil? I really have no clue. My oil change isnt due for another 1,000 miles so I'll hav my mechanic take a look but it'll be hard to replicate the problem since I hav to drive my car there and he wouldn't be able to first hand hear the sound.

Take it to the shop the night before and leave it for him...that way, he's guaranteed a cold start. My guess is that it's something with the ignition, not the fuel filter or anything like that.

Good to hear from you again...it's been awhile!

I agree with Leigh on this. It does sound like a ignotion or timing problem. Cold/rain might point towards possible connection issue on a sensor?

2: Not sure how the 2.2L is made but is it possible the Timing Belt is slightly stretched causing the timing to advance slightly or change the valve opening. This would potentially cause the knock/thud noise. Can't explain how or why rain would change this though. Cold could be a factor since cold engine turns over harder than warm engine.

3: Weak battery or worn starter? Weak battery in a cold car should just cause the vehicle to turn over slowly or not turn at all. Again not sure if a worn componet on the starter could cause the knock or thud noise.

just a couple of thoughts from a shade tree mechanic.

Roy

It seems cold/rain make the problem worse.

This often points to failing plug wires. Are they the original wires? You might try putting tap water in a spray bottle and misting the wires with the engine running and in darkness. Look for spark arcing along the wires.

well timing belt was replaced along with water pump at 138K all toyota/denso parts. Then the battery was just replaced less then a month ago with a BOSCH battery, would of got optima but didnt hav the cash since i needed the battery asap. Got new denso plugs and wires at 100K. I might try and leave it at my mechanic but the only thing is, hes about 40 minuets away from me and theres no real way bk without a car. I will try seeing any sparks at night, next time i get a chance.

So it seems ignition? i also wanted to note, i only see it happen in the cold it never happens when its hot outside. But anyone know any problems this could be a sign of? or is it more of a cosmetic thing?

I agree with Leigh on this. It does sound like a ignotion or timing problem. Cold/rain might point towards possible connection issue on a sensor?

2: Not sure how the 2.2L is made but is it possible the Timing Belt is slightly stretched causing the timing to advance slightly or change the valve opening. This would potentially cause the knock/thud noise. Can't explain how or why rain would change this though. Cold could be a factor since cold engine turns over harder than warm engine.

3: Weak battery or worn starter? Weak battery in a cold car should just cause the vehicle to turn over slowly or not turn at all. Again not sure if a worn componet on the starter could cause the knock or thud noise.

just a couple of thoughts from a shade tree mechanic.

Roy

I was thinking starter too but it turns over fast even in the cold

Take it to the shop the night before and leave it for him...that way, he's guaranteed a cold start. My guess is that it's something with the ignition, not the fuel filter or anything like that.

Good to hear from you again...it's been awhile!

yeah its been a while lol, i'll call my mechanic see if he agrees. If not i might just take it to my dealer/employer.

I actually have a really interesting story. At work the other day we just received a brand new Lexus LS600hL. Only had 2 miles on it. BUT at around 12 miles the check engine light came on and the trans went bust, best guess was a solenoid problem. Toyota told us to take the old tranny off and send it back to them and they'd send a new trans.

The mechanic that works on my car was the head mechanic that directed the whole process of taking the whole entire engine/transmission out of a LS600h AWD!!

It was honestly a SIGHT TO SEE. That 5.0L V8 w/electric motor and transmission r absolutely massive, it just looked like an engineering marvel, it was amazing.

Cool...I'd like to see that. I've driven an LS600h, but haven't seen one in pieces...

Where do you work? Wilkie Lexus?

naa thompson lexus about 40 minuets away from wilkie, we do dealers trades with them all the time