94 Camry LE 4cyl

94cylcamry

I'm thinking I'm going to wait. I really want to start doing things to this car by myself...not to mention right now I'm just concentrating on driving and not the radio.

I like your attitude :lol:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next week dad and I are going to replace the hood struts...those little things that are supposed to keep the hood up...ours haven't worked for years. I figure we may as well replace them now since I'm probably going to be under the hood every now and then....not to mention you can get a pair of them for like 30 bucks and they just bolt on...

Next week dad and I are going to replace the hood struts...those little things that are supposed to keep the hood up...ours haven't worked for years. I figure we may as well replace them now since I'm probably going to be under the hood every now and then....not to mention you can get a pair of them for like 30 bucks and they just bolt on...

That's a good idea...it's pretty miserable when the hood falls on your head...

Haha. Yes I would think so. Can't wait until I get more comfortable with this car and can open her up a little bit more on the highway. Not...wreckless driving just...more than the 35mph or so that I've been doing so far.

Ok let's change the question a bit.

You're me, you've got $2,200USD to spend on your completely stock 2.2L 4cyl 94 Camry LE sedan. I'm curious what you'd get. Keep in mind the only thing I really bought so far was a pair of Pioneer speakers for the front doors....nothing else.

Thanks!

Ok let's change the question a bit.

You're me, you've got $2,200USD to spend on your completely stock 2.2L 4cyl 94 Camry LE sedan. I'm curious what you'd get. Keep in mind the only thing I really bought so far was a pair of Pioneer speakers for the front doors....nothing else.

Thanks!

Basic turbo kit with crappy turbocharger and old-school fueling using FMU. Max 5-7psi. About 60hp. Still have to fiigure something out about ignition timing and knock detection (stock ECU has knock detection, but I don't know what its going to do when engine is knocking. It could retard ignition or simply light up check engine light). For 5psi of boost ignition timing is not necassary.

Or a manual transmission.

Or a manual transmission. Hmm. :)

And I'm seeing these clutch kits and light weight flywheels....are those necessary?

EDIT:...and just browsing Ebay, I see tons of manual Celica transmissions, just not Camry ones. Didn't you say a Celica transmission would fit in a Camry? It says it fits 5SFE engines, which is what mine is, but it doesn't list it as fitting the Camry. What do you think?

EDIT: Like

This 93 Celica Transmission w/ 150k on it

or

This 90 Celica Tranny w/ 75k on it

Or a manual transmission. Hmm. :)

And I'm seeing these clutch kits and light weight flywheels....are those necessary?

EDIT:...and just browsing Ebay, I see tons of manual Celica transmissions, just not Camry ones. Didn't you say a Celica transmission would fit in a Camry? It says it fits 5SFE engines, which is what mine is, but it doesn't list it as fitting the Camry. What do you think?

EDIT: Like

This 93 Celica Transmission w/ 150k on it

or

This 90 Celica Tranny w/ 75k on it

It should fit. Transmission fits engine, not the car. You can get a stock flywheel (for manual, to fit a pressure plate), light weight F/W is not necessary. But you have to get a clutch kit (pressure plate + clutch disk + release bearing) and clutch master cylinder (and slave cylinde with lines if transmission doesnt comes with them). You also will need a clutch pedal and shifter with cables. Speed sensor may be different from auto tranny. Dont know about driveshafts though.

You have to get flywheel for manual, because auto tranny flywheels has torque converters instead of pressure plates on them. So you probably will not going to find holes for bolts to fit a pressure plate.

You need a clutch kit so you can connect your engine to your tranny. When your clutch pedal is released, pressure plate presses clutch disk to a flywheel. Clutch disk is directly connected to transmissions imput shaft. So when pressure plate presses clutch disk to a flywheel clutch disks spins at same speed as an engine. When you press a clutch pedal you are releasing pressure plate so it is no longer pressing clutch disk. So pressure plate and flywheel spins @ engine speed and clutch disk spins @ transmission speed (or wheel speed with added gear ratios) or it's not spinning if car is not moving or if you're not in gear.

Can you recommend any good sites to look for some of this stuff? I guess I could get the transmission itself from ebay....but I can't find decent clutch kits or shifters...or clutch pedals there. By the way, a short throw shifter just allows for faster shifting, right?

Can you recommend any good sites to look for some of this stuff? I guess I could get the transmission itself from ebay....but I can't find decent clutch kits or shifters...or clutch pedals there. By the way, a short throw shifter just allows for faster shifting, right?

Site where I got my stock clutch kit (I later put a ceramic clutch disk on it from ClutchNet.com but you dont need racing parts for now):

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw_store...;my=1&cat=h

Clutch kit.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw_store...mp;make_code=TO

Clutch master cylinder

Clutch slave cylinder

They don't sell pedals. You have to get something on ebay and make necessary modifications, or find a junk car (I think celica's pedals could work too). You will need a brake pedal too, because stock pedal is wider and you could press it when shifting.

Same with the shifter.

And you will probably going to have problems with ECU too, because there is a neutral saftey switch so you couldn't start your engine while in gear but you can short-circuit wires that are coming from that switch so it will be always on. And you have to wire backing-up lights to a switch on a manual tranny.

Yes, short shifter shortens distance between gears of your shifter. I don't have one. I think it was made for slow people :lol:

K...some more basic things I think I'll start out with...

Clear Headlight Housing as opposed to the stock composite one. Just an easy little way to make the front look a little better...

Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Air Intake torn between this and the normal Weapon R Dragon intake...

And some other things gotta go now though!

Xenon HID lights...hmm..alright I'll keep those in mind. They aren't obnoxiously blinding are they? People who do that sort of piss me off when I'm trying to drive.

They do not blind if headlights are aligned properly. And if you didn't forget to switch to low beams :lol: But they are brighter (less temperature - more light). Like 4500K are very bright and just a little bluish. When temperature increases brightness decreases and light becomes more bluish until it becomes violet. Violet looks cool, but are not going to see a sh** :lol:

Temperature doesn't change. All bulbs have they own temperature rating.

This is cool...so Xenon HID lamps actually draw less power than the stock halogen bulb. But people are saying you need some kind of conversion kit? What's that about?

"Kit" includes two bulbs and two balasts ("starters" for each bulb). Your old bulb connectors connects to a balast and balast connects to a HID bulb.

You can choose whatever temperature you like. I don't know what do you want more, a good visibility or a "cool" looks. :lol: