95 Camry - Automatic Shifter

tabb

Hi all,

I have a 95 Camry.....recently, after putting the car in park, going back out later car will not turn over...just clicks....battery is fine as everything comes on....after some trying I realize that what's causing the problem is the button on the shifter that you push in, in order to get the car in "drive". evidently it is not engaging a switch that allows the car too start (a safety feature). is their a way to bypass this switch or is it very difficult to replace?

thanks for any help..

tabb

Look down at the shift console. There should be a small knockout hole on the left. There is an electrical connector that can be disconnected to unlock a stuck shift lever...but are you saying that you can't move the shifter at all?

Look down at the shift console. There should be a small knockout hole on the left. There is an electrical connector that can be disconnected to unlock a stuck shift lever...but are you saying that you can't move the shifter at all?

thanks for the reply....no what i was trying to convey is that the car will not start. There must be some type of safety mechanism in the shifter (its an automatic) that allows the car to start. It must be broken or worn as the car will only start if you press the button on the shifter in just a little. thanks for the input.

OK..I actually thought yopu couldn't move the shifter at all....and if something's already broken in there as it is, that may also happen.

thanks for the reply....no what i was trying to convey is that the car will not start. There must be some type of safety mechanism in the shifter (its an automatic) that allows the car to start. It must be broken or worn as the car will only start if you press the button on the shifter in just a little. thanks for the input.

Hi all,

I have a 95 Camry.....recently, after putting the car in park, going back out later car will not turn over...just clicks....battery is fine as everything comes on....after some trying I realize that what's causing the problem is the button on the shifter that you push in, in order to get the car in "drive". evidently it is not engaging a switch that allows the car too start (a safety feature). is their a way to bypass this switch or is it very difficult to replace?

thanks for any help..

tabb

If it's clicking at all the problem is not with the shifter, it's with the battery, connections, cables, or starter itself.