'00 Corolla 60K mile tune-up

eanian1

Hello all,

Just found this site and am thrilled it exists. Anyone have an idea what specific maintenance goes in the recommended 60K-mile tune-up for the '00 Corolla? I saw someone ask a similar question about an earlier model but mostly focused on the timing belt. I'm wondering if I can just check the rest myself (not a car expert by any means, but I can tell what is what). $400 seems pricey to check fluid levels and belt condition...

Thanks,

eanian1

Hello all,

Just found this site and am thrilled it exists. Anyone have an idea what specific maintenance goes in the recommended 60K-mile tune-up for the '00 Corolla? I saw someone ask a similar question about an earlier model but mostly focused on the timing belt. I'm wondering if I can just check the rest myself (not a car expert by any means, but I can tell what is what). $400 seems pricey to check fluid levels and belt condition...

Thanks,

eanian1

Check this out:

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guide...=2000&int_id=56

It's not just fluids, so the $400 quote you have is pretty reasonable. You may also need to do the timing belt, but it may be okay to wait until 90k.

Agreed. You ought to be able to get those 60K tune up/check issues from a shop for much less.

By the way, is the belt making any noise...but it still looks OK? The new Toys seem to generaly have a 90K belt change interval. If you have some belt noise, but it looks OK ans is not loose, you could try a little belt dressing on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. You ought to be able to get those 60K tune up/check issues from a shop for much less.

By the way, is the belt making any noise...but it still looks OK? The new Toys seem to generaly have a 90K belt change interval. If you have some belt noise, but it looks OK ans is not loose, you could try a little belt dressing on it.

I bought my 2000 Corolla used at about 58k miles - would my car need a 60k checkup too? I wouldn't assume so since I'm at 65,500 and I haven't been notified about anything like this when I last went in to get my oil changed.

Some things you might want to add to your "do it yourself " list, which are easy and cheap, is to replace the brake fluid and power steering fluid with good high quality full synthetic. Even if you just drain the resivoir and refill, after a while it will mix in with the existing old fluid. I only mention this if the brakes have not been bled in a while and you do not plan to do so anytime soon because you already recently replaced pads and shoes, etc. And most people never replace the power steering fluid, so why not do it one time with some fluid you'll never have to replace again?