Radio

dhinckley

I purchased a new 2004 Toyota Corolla (SE) two years ago. From the start I have had a problem with the radio. The problem being that intermittently when I first turn on the radio I get a very fuzzy reception, regardless of the station. If it then just sit and wait I can hear the fuzz gradually go away (as though the radio was warming up) until within a few minutes all is well. The majority of the time it is when I first turn it on, although recently I've been noticing it occur in the middle of listening to the radio. All is well and then suddenly it goes all fuzzy and then over a span of a few minutes it gets all better again.

I've taken the car into the dealer and they have given me the all-to-frequent "you are crazy, there is nothing wrong" routine. My fear, of course, being that the problem will not become a hard-and-fast problem until the warranty has expired.

Has anyone else notices this phenomenon?

I purchased a new 2004 Toyota Corolla (SE) two years ago. From the start I have had a problem with the radio. The problem being that intermittently when I first turn on the radio I get a very fuzzy reception, regardless of the station. If it then just sit and wait I can hear the fuzz gradually go away (as though the radio was warming up) until within a few minutes all is well. The majority of the time it is when I first turn it on, although recently I've been noticing it occur in the middle of listening to the radio. All is well and then suddenly it goes all fuzzy and then over a span of a few minutes it gets all better again.

I've taken the car into the dealer and they have given me the all-to-frequent "you are crazy, there is nothing wrong" routine. My fear, of course, being that the problem will not become a hard-and-fast problem until the warranty has expired.

Could it be an antenna-not-quite-making-contact problem? If you can take the car to the dealer (and don't have the radio on while you're driving there), and sit in it with a technician, you might have a chance of showing it to them.

• 1 month later...

I just reciently purchased a 2003 Corolla CE with less than 10,000 miles on it and it has the same radio proble that you are speaking about. If you or anyone has resolved this problem, please let me know. The care was stored for over a year and has the 100,000 mi warranty on the engine and drivetrain but not on the accessorys. I will have fix this myself. Thanks in advance for any help. Tommy

I just reciently purchased a 2003 Corolla CE with less than 10,000 miles on it and it has the same radio proble that you are speaking about.  If you or anyone has resolved this problem, please let me know.  The care was stored for over a year and has the 100,000 mi warranty on the engine and drivetrain  but not on the accessorys.  I will have fix this myself.  Thanks in advance for any help.    Tommy

What's the in-service date on your Corolla? It may still be under warranty for the radio issue, depending on exactly what the problem is.

Both of you guys with the radio static issue have the same issue: getting the problem solved before the warranty runs out. I have a suggestion for anyone with this problem regarding antenna static: The antenna coax cable is probably not fully seated. But even though these are new cars, before bringing it in to the dealership, go online and find a place to buy a small can of DEOXYIT. Recording studios use it to keep electrical connections such as console 1/4 inch and XLR inputs clean, shiny, and super conductive. Perhaps the dealer will be kind enough to dab some on the antenna connection if they are going to pull the head unit out anyway. The stuff works.