test pipe?

Is anybody out there running a test pipe instead of a CAT? i know there are some down sides but the good side kinda out weights it. will the car smoke? smell funny? or are they sorta un-dectable to the un trained eye? just looking to get some feed back. thanks a lot guys...

Is anybody out there running a test pipe instead of a CAT? i know there are some down sides but the good side kinda out weights it. will the car smoke? smell funny? or are they sorta un-dectable to the un trained eye? just looking to get some feed back. thanks a lot guys...

I ran a test pipe on one of my Supras...increased power, increased noise, slightly increased fuel economy with both intake and test pipe. And yes, smells different, more like a race car. You don't have to be very well trained to smell a car without cats. You're not planning to put a test pipe on your ES, are you? Unless it's had an aftermarket turbo added, a test pipe isn't going to give you much of a power increase. It makes the biggest difference on a turbo car.

as leigh says, it will improve things slightly, but increase emissions as well...

Yes, and if you have eCheck in your area, you can definitely count on not passing your emissions check if you take off the cats. Of course, if you're good at that sort of thing, you could just swap out the pipes right before you take it to be tested.

Yup. You just gave him the best advice. If he wants to do it, once each year he needs to swap it out. And then of course swap it back 12 hours later. Liquid Wrench is totally in order here. Plus a set of crowfoot wrenches that go on the end of a socket extension.

http://www.gunk.com/oe2.asp?pic=L204

Yes, and if you have eCheck in your area, you can definitely count on not passing your emissions check if you take off the cats.  Of course, if you're good at that sort of thing, you could just swap out the pipes right before you take it to be tested.

Yup. You just gave him the best advice. If he wants to do it, once each year he needs to swap it out. And then of course swap it back 12 hours later. Liquid Wrench is totally in order here. Plus a set of crowfoot wrenches that go on the end of a socket extension.

http://www.gunk.com/oe2.asp?pic=L204

It's pretty easy after the first time you do it...the first time, everything is pretty stuck together and it takes forever, but it's fast and simple after that.

that sounds handy... do i guess you dont have any spot checks then?

No spot checks here in the Cincinnati area, but I've heard they have them in California...am I right? You can get around that just by gutting the cats because it still looks fine from the outside (of course, then you still have the eCheck problem).

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone else knows the NOT dirty little secret people without (or fake) cat converters can do to pass an emissions check. In the South, what people are doing--- is they wait until the check month comes up. They drive the car until it has only 1 or 2 gallons of gas in it. Then they go to Home Depot and buy a gallon can of denatured alcohol and a small can of acetone. Then they fill up a huge 5 gallon or more gas can with premium gas and stash it in the trunk. While the car is still hot and running, they put the alcohol and acetone in the gas tank. Then they drive it for 10 miles to get the alcohol into the engine. So they are running on 50% alcohol and the car runs like a 2 legged dog......but they pass emissions. Immediatley after passing, they pull into the nearest parking lot and pour that big can of golden dinosaur juice into the tank and drive happily every after. Until next year.