Dealers selling full transmission flushes

stevelaw

My 2002 Camry now has 55K on it. It runs great and the tranny shifts great. But the fluid IS dirty. So I need to drain and refill, I guess. Since it was a leased vehicle, I would normally assume that the dude who owned it before me changed the tranny fluid, but maybe not. Anyone out there getting the dealerships pushing total flushes on them? I think it'll stir up a lot of crap from the pan and a better way to go is the old fashioned way--drop the pan, clean it, clean the screen, new gasket, button it back up and go.

• 9 months later...

Only 55 k miles? I wouldnt flush. Id actually assume the previous lease owner never opened the hood, what would he care.

I did my 02 V6 and all i did was just drain the fluid. The trans has a strainer and not a gauze filter. I didnt bother pulling the pan, i just changed the fluid. Takes about 3 or 4 quts cant remember exactly. And check your owners manual, mine says you MUST USe Toyota T IV fluid, ONLY. Only place to get it is at Toyota dealer and it is like 4 or 5 $ qt.

(Another reason not to have it flushed, BECAUSE what is more likely: 1. the dealer is going to refill his flushing machine with T IV because toyota says thats what used in your car , or 2. he will just use whatever fluid is already in it?)