96 4cyl stalling

meffaman

96 4cyl Camry w/81k stalling at red lights and when at idle speed thru intersections. Had this problem about 2yrs ago and the dealer replaced the EGR valve, very expensive with labor and diagnostics etc..... Same symptoms now, the cars just stalls when stopped or coasting around intersections and so forth. I just replaced the EGR valve myself thinking it must be gone again, but the problem is still there. I plan to clean the throttle body plate as it looks pretty varnished up and also the IAC valve.

Someone else mentioned their air filter looked pretty clean after 4 months. I replaced mine about a year ago (at least) and it looks pretty clean. This made me think that not much air is entering, though I can't say for sure.

The car seems fine initially and tends to stall after its been running for a few minutes. I also heard a loud pop a few weeks ago, could have been a backfire, but I'm not sure. Funny thing is my friend was getting into my car with 2 balloons and we thought one had popped but that wasn't the case. What could cause a backfire?

I don't mind bringing the car to the dealer, just don't want them throwing parts at it and eating up my time and money.

• 3 months later...
96 4cyl Camry w/81k stalling at red lights and when at idle speed thru intersections.  Had this problem about 2yrs ago and the dealer replaced the EGR valve, very expensive with labor and diagnostics etc.....  Same symptoms now, the cars just stalls when stopped or coasting around intersections and so forth.  I just replaced the EGR valve myself thinking it must be gone again, but the problem is still there.  I plan to clean the throttle body plate as it looks pretty varnished up and also the IAC valve. 

Someone else mentioned their air filter looked pretty clean after 4 months.  I replaced mine about a year ago (at least) and it looks pretty clean.  This made me think that not much air is entering, though I can't say for sure. 

The car seems fine initially and tends to stall after its been running for a few minutes.  I also heard a loud pop a few weeks ago, could have been a backfire, but I'm not sure.  Funny thing is my friend was getting into my car with 2 balloons and we thought one had popped but that wasn't the case.  What could cause a backfire?

I don't mind bringing the car to the dealer, just don't want them throwing parts at it and eating up my time and money.

See posts on CAMRY Hestitates.

My problem was a bad ignition coil that was arcing- similar symptoms as yours. But that loud 'pop' could have been a backfire/misfire - another clue that the ignition is fouling up.

• 1 month later...
1. Run a vacum check. 2. Replace cap, rotor, and perhaps spark plugs and wires if it has been a while. 3. Check idle speed. 4. When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

Hmmm...this is starting to sound familiar. My Camry occasionally stalled out like that because the fuel filter was getting clogged up. As stevelaw says, definitely check the fuel filter.