92 Camry won't start at random times.

VehicleofChange

I've been having problems with my 92 Camry. It has over 200,000 miles on it and is quite an old lady. I had to replace an EGR valve on it so it wouldn't stall when sitting at a stop light or stop sign. However it's been having starting issues. It seemed when it was cold out it would not want to start. I would turn the key, there would be NO noise however the lights on the dash and everything would come on. I was told it was a bad starter and it would have to be replaced. I replaced the starter and it seemed to start up with ease however after I drove back to Car Quest to return the old starter I got back in my car it wouldn't start. I tried turning the key about 10 times. My buddy came to look at it played around up front and it finally started. We decided it might be a faulty starter so we exchanged it. We put the new one in and like before it started without a problem. I went to move the car out to the street so I could do some yard work and decided to turn it off and see if it would start. And of course it didn't.

It seems to me that it will start after a while of non-use however if I go somewhere park it and come back out in a short amount of time it has a problem. Any idea what this could be? My friend seems to think its the ignition switch however I'm not sure. Another one of my friends seems to think the engine is getting flooded. I came to this forum to hear some other sides to the story. Can anyone help?

You say that the problem is intermittent. This soulds like an electrical switching problem. Something loose or not contacting right. Ignition switch is a good possibility. A good electrical diagnosis is required. I doubt that it is flooding (this car is fuel injected). Usually when a starter goes bad it gets noisey first. Did that happen? Anyway you have already replaced it. Hope this helps.

In response to the starter making, noise, I don't remember there being much noise other then the engine starting up loudly and idling loudly. However that problem was taken care of with the EGR valve replacement. I thank you both of you for helping me, all opinions I hear so far have pointed to the ignition switch or ignition in general.

Your random starter problems may or may not be starter related. First, determine that the battery and charging system are good by testing the battery witha multimeter accross the battery teminals with the car shut off. You should have 12 volts. Test the charging system with the car running by using the multimeter again accross the battery teminals. You should see 13.5 - 14.2 or so. That means your alternator and voltage regulator are doing their job. If those checks successful, then you can look into why your starter situation is intermittant. Use a starter jump switch tobypass your cars wiring to rule out a wiring problem.