collapsing upper radiator hose?

redman1118

'95 w/2.2 liter motor

When cold the upper radiator hose is collapsed .. when hot it's expanded to normal. Failing hose or failing thermostat?

Coolant level is fine/ car doesn't run hot.

Thx

Failing radiator cap or overflow bottle cap. If this cap does not allow air to return into container as the engine cools it creates a vacuum which causes the hose to collapse.

May want to check the hose to see if it feels soft or mushy when sqeezed. This is the easiest way to tell if a hose is getting close to failing.

Roy

Hi Roy

Thanks .. checked it and the hose is firm/ rad cap and coolant recovery tank cap both look good also with no debris etc.

May stop by a radiator shop and have them pressure test the radiator cap . Then again, they're not expensive and this is a new car to me.

I agree as I think about it. Took the radiator end of the hose loose last night as it collapsed as the motor cooled and it immediately returned to normal.

Failing radiator cap or overflow bottle cap. If this cap does not allow air to return into container as the engine cools it creates a vacuum which causes the hose to collapse.

May want to check the hose to see if it feels soft or mushy when sqeezed. This is the easiest way to tell if a hose is getting close to failing.

Roy

Hi Roy

Thanks .. checked it and the hose is firm/ rad cap and coolant recovery tank cap both look good also with no debris etc.

May stop by a radiator shop and have them pressure test the radiator cap . Then again, they're not expensive and this is a new car to me.

I agree as I think about it. Took the radiator end of the hose loose last night as it collapsed as the motor cooled and it immediately returned to normal.