2007 4Runner mostly garaged

Billy Rubin

Good evening.  Hoping to get some insight from forum members.  I have a 2007 4Runner which was mostly garaged.  It was seldom used because we own 5 other vehicles (big household).  I start and warm up whenever I remember, sometimes actually taking it out to drive.  It has very low mileage, only 21,000 miles.

This morning I started it up and noticed the check engine light was ON.  I will be taking it to the dealers for a check.  Anyone else encounter this issue with a garaged vehicle

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 4runner with the V6. 210,000 miles and it starts up and runs like a new car/truck still. That check engine light goes on for a few seconds on every start up and then goes off on ours. 

I was considering buying a new 4runner, but why? We drive this 4runner every day.

I've gone through 4 starters including the OEM. The last starter I installed came with a lifetime warrantee, so I called the number on the box and the girl said if it ever fails, we'll send you a new one.

NEVER had a check engine light except for a few seconds when I start her up with the key. Amazing cars and trucks does Toyota build. Honda is the only other car I would consider.

I bought my daughter a new Camry for graduation from Florida State 5 years ago and it's in Denver running great still.

Drove the Camry (55,000 miles) through the Rockies for sightseeing 6 months ago. Saw an Elk and a Moose standing alone in the center of a 3 mile wide lake that was 4 feet deep IN THE MIDDLE!

One Forest Ranger at a rest station with a diner said there are no more Moose in the Colorado Rockies, but it was definitely a Moose. It's illegal to shoot at one. They are protected.

IMG_6056 (1).jpg

2YFTaugust06.JPG

moose.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 3:00 AM, BahamasTom said:

I have a 2005 4runner with the V6. 210,000 miles and it starts up and runs like a new car/truck still. That check engine light goes on for a few seconds on every start up and then goes off on ours. 

I was considering buying a new 4runner, but why? We drive this 4runner every day.

I've gone through 4 starters including the OEM. The last starter I installed came with a lifetime warrantee, so I called the number on the box and the girl said if it ever fails, we'll send you a new one.

NEVER had a check engine light except for a few seconds when I start her up with the key. Amazing cars and trucks does Toyota build. Honda is the only other car I would consider.

I bought my daughter a new Camry for graduation from Florida State 5 years ago and it's in Denver running great still.

Drove the Camry (55,000 miles) through the Rockies for sightseeing 6 months ago. Saw an Elk and a Moose standing alone in the center of a 3 mile wide lake that was 4 feet deep IN THE MIDDLE!

One Forest Ranger at a rest station with a diner said there are no more Moose in the Colorado Rockies, but it was definitely a Moose. It's illegal to shoot at one. They are protected.

IMG_6056 (1).jpg

2YFTaugust06.JPG

moose.jpg

When I was looking, I found a 2008 for $11k with 73k on it (this was in early 2020) and thought I'd hit the jackpot until I arrived for a test drive and discovered that it had clearly been a contractors vehicle. The interior was shabby, with broken or missing trim pieces, stains on all the carpets, two power windows that didn't work, it was low on oil, the oil it did have was clearly worn, it idled rough, and smelled like it was burning coolant at high RPM.

There are unicorns out there: low-mileage gems owned by drivers who never drove them beyond the mall and now want to get rid of them. However, it is always prudent to double-check.