Is $600 Toyota Dealer Installed remote Starter worth it?

teeps

I can buy kits as cheap as $75, and I have seen deals from $99 to $299, but when I called the dealer where I bought my 2006 Highlander from, they had a $599 'discounted' special. They told me that they replaced all the keys and kept a 3rd master hidden in the car. I take it that is to keep the car's 'kill switch' from interfering with the ability to start remotely. They also said that only one key and no remotes are another advantage. I wasn't able to get more out of the salesman, he was English challenged.

Has anyone heard of this and if so, does it seem worth $600? If not, what's the next best option?

Thanks in advance.

The best things about getting it done at a dealer are:

1.) If they screw it up, they'll fix it at no charge. Most likely, they won't screw it up.

2.) It doesn't affect your warranty, and if it's a Toyota part, it'll be warranteed for a year.

3.) If it's a Toyota accessory, it'll be far better quality than any of the aftermarket kits.

The bit about the key being hidden in the car is pretty standard.

If it's this one, then it's the Toyota kit, and it's pretty decent.

remotestart_lg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A key needs to be hidden in the vehicle because they are security keys with a computer chip in them that is required to start the car. You need to have it hidden in the car near the ignition, so that when the remote start sends the signal to start the car, it reads the chip in the key, and the car actually starts.

There's two components to starting the car: one is the actual ignition, and the other is the computer chip that tells the car it's okay to start. If the chip is in the car, but there's no way to turn the ignition, then you can't start the car.

• 3 months later...

I have the push start camry and there is no key for the inside of the car. Because of the push start system. I have installed some for other people and u have to use the key and a halo the goes around the key cylinder to think the key is there.