No RDS (Radio Data System) in new 07-08 Camry???

RadioguyJ

For the last few years, stereo manufacturers have implemented a new technology in their products called "RDS" which stands for Radio Data System. RDS allows for text information from the radio station transmitters, such as the name of the station, song title etc. to be displayed on the radio. My wife and I have had RDS in our vehicles as far back as 2002. Recently we bought our new 2008 Camry and were surprised to find out it does not have RDS.

Other than the obvious answer "because they didn't want to" is there any reason in particular that Toyota does not offer an RDS-equipped stereo in the new Camry?

For the last few years, stereo manufacturers have implemented a new technology in their products called "RDS" which stands for Radio Data System. RDS allows for text information from the radio station transmitters, such as the name of the station, song title etc. to be displayed on the radio. My wife and I have had RDS in our vehicles as far back as 2002. Recently we bought our new 2008 Camry and were surprised to find out it does not have RDS.

Other than the obvious answer "because they didn't want to" is there any reason in particular that Toyota does not offer an RDS-equipped stereo in the new Camry?

That can't be right...have you tried tuning to a radio station that you definitely know to broadcast that signal? There's probably a "TEXT" or "DISP" button or something similar on your radio that will allow you to scroll the message. None of them actually have an "RDS" button.

That can't be right...have you tried tuning to a radio station that you definitely know to broadcast that signal? There's probably a "TEXT" or "DISP" button or something similar on your radio that will allow you to scroll the message. None of them actually have an "RDS" button.

I've been through that radio with a fine tooth comb, it does not appear to have RDS. There is a text button, but that does nothing. According to the owner's manual, the text button is used for the optional satellite radio and MP3 CD file information during CD playback. There is no mention of RDS in the owner's manual whatsoever. I have tuned to stations that broadcast RDS signals, nothing works. I am a former radio station engineer, if I can't figure out how to use RDS on a car stereo then I have problems! :-)

It's the AM/FM/CD with MPS and WMA capability, it's probably the standard radio on that car. I have an LE model, it's the four-cylinder with automatic transmission. The car came pretty well equipped with this LE package (power windows, locks, mirrors, power driver seat, A/C, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, CD stereo, LED instrument cluster, auto controls on steering wheel, iPod jack, etc.) Adding leather meant another $6k to the price, hardly worth it on resale.

LE Camry's in the past had RDS. I don't know why they would leave it out in this new model.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No kidding? Weird...

I have noticed some little changes this year on my car too...things that I've had with every Toyota Corp. vehicle I've ever had. Except this one, darn it. For example, I can no longer fast-forward the CD player. I've had that since my 1988 Supra. And 20 years later, my state-of-the-art 2008 GS350 with the premium system doesn't do that. Aargh.