1992 Camry Possesed by satan?

1992 camry

:lol: I started up my 1992 Camry this morning and had no problems as long as I kept the transmission in reverse.

While in Park and Drive I noticed the tachometer and speedometer went to zero and stayed there. Also, the A/C and the power windows do not work while in Drive. No noticable change in the way the engine sounds or performs in any gear.

:) Thanks for any ideas. I plan on taking it in next week to my mechanic. I would like to have some idea as to what the problem is and how much I can expect to pay for repair before I take it in.

How much movement is the engine making when shifting back and forth ? Are worn engine mounts allowing enough movement so that a wiring harness or connector is losing continuity?

Just a WAG. Perhaps if you could have someone sit in the driver's seat with their foot on the brake and shift back and forth while you observe and wiggle wires and connectors you might luck out and find the problem.

FWIW

YMMV

Thanks for the response.

I do have movement when shifting (about 1/4"- 1/2" up and down). I will have the motor mounts replaced next week.

I did not find any evidence of loose wiring connections. I did discover that the pulley on my a/c compressor is under significant torque during shifting. It appears that the pulley is "cocked" about an 1/8". I also found a hard black resin material scattered around the passenger side of the engine compartment that seems to originate from the a/c compressor, beneath the pulley. It looks as though something got really hot under there recently!

I still don't understand what the a/c would have to do with my tach./speedo and power windows.

Thanks again for your help. :)