Two problems: flashing O/D light and burning smell.

SirCletus

I have a 1994 Camry V6 auto. I've had it for about a year (it's my winter car) without any major problems, though a couple of somewhat disturbing things have begun to happen.

First, the O/D (overdrive) light on the dashboard flashes at a regular interval when the car is running.

Second, and most upsetting, is that a smokey odor fills the cabin, but only when the car comes to a stop, and only generally when it hasn't warmed up all the way. For example, if I hope in my car and drive two miles to the grocery store, the horrible smokey odor permeates the cabin when I bring the car to a halt in the parking lot. But if I were to drive 50 miles to Cleveland, the smokey odor would not be nearly as bad, if it appeared at all.

Any ideas on either of these problems? The smokey odor has gotten worse over the past few weeks, by the way.

Thanks,

I

I think you should change the tranny fluid and look for leaks.

I'll do that. Check this out: yesterday the light stopped flashing and the smell wasn't present. It almost seems that the problem is worse the colder the outside temperature. Does that make any sense? I've actually never owned a car with an automatic transmission, so this is all a mystery to me.

IZA