Solara Radio noises

Boater61

I have a 2005 Solara with the upgraded radio. I'm getting static on the strongest stations, 880 and 1010 (NY). Other stations are very weak. Noise sometimes sounds like rapid morse code. Service manager and customer relations say they've gotten similar complaints from Avalon and Camray owners. The antenna is in the rear window. Regional rep says all is well; no problem. Has anyone out there had a similar problem? And more importantly, has anyone found a cause and a solution? Thank Boater61.

sounds odd... have you recieved the stations ok on other radios?

Thanks for the reply. No, I've not had any such problems with previos cars including my wife's Chrysler Sebring. My feeling is that the in-window antenna is at fault, but i'm not sure.

yeah, it does sound like perhaps a dodgy connection...

have you checked all the connectors are seated properly? normally id say check for corrosion, but if its a 2005, unless you park your truck on Santa Cruz boardwalk every night, i dont think it'll be that!

Your'e having problems getting WINS?! That station has been on forever. I'd assume they have the wattage sufficient for reception anywhere in NYC. Has the service department offered to look at the antenna connection?

Thanks for the suggestions. Dealer has supposedly checked everything and everything is OK. I'm going to try to plug in a regular antenna and see what happens. 880 radio AM is a 50,000 watt station, so there should be no problem receiving it even 50 miles from its antenna. And my previous cars had no such problem. Yes, 1010 WINS is still transmitting, news only!

There is a liquid anti-corrosion used by recording studios for cable connections. It is well known in the music industry and it is called DeOxyit. It's not much money. You might ask the dealer to put it on the antenna connection next time you take it in for a warranty complaint about said matter.

Thanks for the suggestions. Dealer has supposedly checked everything and everything is OK. I'm going to try to plug in a regular antenna and see what happens. 880 radio AM is a 50,000 watt station, so there should be no problem receiving it even 50 miles from its antenna. And my previous cars had no such problem. Yes, 1010 WINS is still transmitting, news only!