Replacing clutch on a 1996 Camry

Fritz

I don't know which is the best way to get to the clutch.

I was hoping I could support the engine and drop the transmission, switch the plates, and put it back up, but one of the mechanics I know says it would be safer to take the whole engine and tranny out of the car. I don't want to do that.

However if I did have to drop the tranny, the car would have to be higher up than a jack stand would put it right? I don't know how to proceed, that's why i'm askin'. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

A while ago I had to replace my clutch, also 96. I first tried it myself and wasn't successful, so I took it to a shop. Job was done ****ty though.. pedal vibration, nothing else is wrong, so I can't exactly ask them to redo it.

Would like to know how you did it.

The engine is entirely bolted to the subframe, the steering rack is also bolted to the sub frame.

SO, to get the transmission out from the bottom, following things has to be unbolted:

Steering rack.

the engine, which can't be supported unless you have a engine lift.

The stablizing bar, which gets in the way of unbolting the steering rack.

Then of course the entire subframe....

Not to mention the exhaust pipe, which most of the time are hard to get off, due to rust.

Lot of work, and very very messy.

And here's what need to be ubolted if you are to lift the entire engine out:

Steering pump. and suspend it.

Cooling system, hoses + a cooling refill of course

Wiring.

Fuel system.

AC compression, which can get tricky sometimes.

Let me know if there's a way to get the tranny out without lifting the engine out at all.

good luck

And you know what, with the mileage on that car, and it's 10 years old, he's going to end up recharging the A/C system too after the job if he decides to pull that motor. He'll get a leak, but at least he will be using R134

A while ago I had to replace my clutch, also 96. I first tried it myself and wasn't successful, so I took it to a shop. Job was done ****ty though.. pedal vibration, nothing else is wrong, so I can't exactly ask them to redo it.

Would like to know how you did it.

The engine is entirely bolted to the subframe, the steering rack is also bolted to the sub frame.

SO, to get the transmission out from the bottom, following things has to be unbolted:

Steering rack.

the engine, which can't be supported unless you have a engine lift.

The stablizing bar, which gets in the way of unbolting the steering rack.

Then of course the entire subframe....

Not to mention the exhaust pipe, which most of the time are hard to get off, due to rust.

Lot of work, and very very messy.

And here's what need to be ubolted if you are to lift the entire engine out:

Steering pump. and suspend it.

Cooling system, hoses + a cooling refill of course

Wiring.

Fuel system.

AC compression, which can get tricky sometimes.

Let me know if there's a way to get the tranny out without lifting the engine out at all.

good luck