Ideas for easy modding for improvement

mphil804

I realized that my 1.8l engine is capable of delivering more power than it does regularly. This has been proven by how well it runs after an oil/oil filter change. What I'd like to know is this: what are some fairly simple, risk-free (as much as it can be) mods that will improve overall performance, even just a little? It'd also be great if they're relatively cheap since I'm on a budget. Thanks for your ideas!

I realized that my 1.8l engine is capable of delivering more power than it does regularly. This has been proven by how well it runs after an oil/oil filter change. What I'd like to know is this: what are some fairly simple, risk-free (as much as it can be) mods that will improve overall performance, even just a little? It'd also be great if they're relatively cheap since I'm on a budget. Thanks for your ideas!

You have to also remember that you must sacrifice some gas mileage if you want some performance gains and vice-versa, nothing is free in this world.

You have to also remember that you must sacrifice some gas mileage if you want some performance gains and vice-versa, nothing is free in this world.

I definitely agree. But I think that my 1.8 can squeeze out more power with similar or better mileage than it gets right now...probably 30-32 mpg between city and highway driving. When I get my car back after the oil filter change, the acceleration improvement is dramatic - I just wonder if there's ways to keep that type of performance consistent instead of just a few weeks after that filter change.

I definitely agree. But I think that my 1.8 can squeeze out more power with similar or better mileage than it gets right now...probably 30-32 mpg between city and highway driving. When I get my car back after the oil filter change, the acceleration improvement is dramatic - I just wonder if there's ways to keep that type of performance consistent instead of just a few weeks after that filter change.

Intake, exhaust, etc. would help a little.

Hi and welcome.

As Leigh says, best start is a performance exhaust system, this will allow your engine to rev better.

Couple this to a cold air intake system, and if you can afford it, a piggyback ECU to take maximum advantage of the modifications.

How much would this cost, approximately? Also, would it be wiser to have this done by a certified Toyota technician or independent garage?

How much would this cost, approximately? Also, would it be wiser to have this done by a certified Toyota technician or independent garage?

This stuff is no big deal. The intake is simple, and you can probably easily do that yourself. Intakes, depending on what you get, are pretty cheap...maybe $100. An exhaust will be a bit more, several hundred at a minimum, and you'll be much happier if you have a mechanic do it for it. It's a real pain to crawl under your car and replace exhaust. A garage will be able to put it up on a hoist and change the exhaust fairly rapidly.

• 1 year later...