Radio problems on am stations

irish236

I have an 05 Solara with a radio problem. On AM stations especially stations not in the immediate area there is a tapping sound. The fast you go, the quicker the tapping. When the engine is idling there is no sound, step on the gas and tap tap tap. They have replaced the radio, alternator, and suggest I listen to FM stations. To me it sounds like the interference from the engine is a wiring issue. At this point an help would be great. I have had the car to the dealer 5 times with no improvement or hope.

Thanks for any insight or direction on get this problem taken care of.

I have an 05 Solara with a radio problem.  On AM stations especially stations not in the immediate area there is a tapping sound. The fast you go, the quicker the tapping. When the engine is idling there is no sound, step on the gas and tap tap tap.  They have replaced the radio, alternator, and suggest I listen to FM stations.  To me it sounds like the interference from the engine is a wiring issue.  At this point an help would be great.  I have had the car to the dealer 5 times with no improvement or hope.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and tell them to hook a another temp antenna into the radio AND leave the radio out of the dash WHILE YOU ARE THERE

SO YOU CAN RECREATE THE PROBLEM.

WITH THE DEALER TECHNICIAN IN THE CAR DRIVE AROUND THE BLOCK.

IF THE TAPPING SOUND IS STILL PRESENT ASK THE DEALER TECHNICIAN TO

PUT A O-SCOPE ON THE POWER LEADS TO THE RADIO AND ASK HIM TO LOOK FOR SPIKES OR UNSUAL NOISE ON THE POSITIVE LEAD AND THE GROUND LEAD

THAT PROVIDES POWER TO THE RADIO WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING.

IF THE DEALER REFUSES TO DO THIS INFORM THEM THAT YOU PLAN TO COMPLAIN

ABOUT THE DEALERSHIP ON THE TOYOTA CHAT BLOGS...

I have an 05 Solara with a radio problem.  On AM stations especially stations not in the immediate area there is a tapping sound. The fast you go, the quicker the tapping. When the engine is idling there is no sound, step on the gas and tap tap tap.  They have replaced the radio, alternator, and suggest I listen to FM stations.  To me it sounds like the interference from the engine is a wiring issue.  At this point an help would be great.  I have had the car to the dealer 5 times with no improvement or hope.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and tell them to hook a another temp antenna into the radio AND leave the radio out of the dash WHILE YOU ARE THERE

SO YOU CAN RECREATE THE PROBLEM.

WITH THE DEALER TECHNICIAN IN THE CAR DRIVE AROUND THE BLOCK.

IF THE TAPPING SOUND IS STILL PRESENT ASK THE DEALER TECHNICIAN TO

PUT A O-SCOPE ON THE POWER LEADS TO THE RADIO AND ASK HIM TO LOOK FOR SPIKES OR UNSUAL NOISE ON THE POSITIVE LEAD AND THE GROUND LEAD

THAT PROVIDES POWER TO THE RADIO WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING.

IF THE DEALER REFUSES TO DO THIS INFORM THEM THAT YOU PLAN TO COMPLAIN

ABOUT THE DEALERSHIP ON THE TOYOTA CHAT BLOGS...

Time to go up the food chain. You've got a grounding problem or something going on with the distributor. You are under warranty---use it.

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the obvious need to document, is it possible to mount an external antenna not only to decrease this problem but increase signal reception? If it's been done, where is a suitable place for the mount...(on the SE model with the spoiler)? Electric antennas a possibility?

TooLate