Labor charge for OBD-II diagnostic

jhdjr

When my check engine light comes on, the dealer used to diagnose the problem at no cost as part of the repair.  At my most recent visit, they wanted an hour's labor, $87! to perform the diagnosis.  Is this now standard procedure?

It's going to vary from dealer to dealer, and it's also going to make a difference if you had other service work that you paid for done at the same time. If you made a trip only for the diagnosis, it's more likely that you'd get charged because a technician has to get the car inside and possibly up on a rack just to plug in their scan tool. If you had a scheduled maintenance done, and they just had to plug it in while your car was already on the rack, it's no big deal, just a couple of extra minutes. $87 sounds a little steep though.

I was at the dealer for a periodic oil change when the OBD diagnosis charge was incurred.

It's going to vary from dealer to dealer, and it's also going to make a difference if you had other service work that you paid for done at the same time.  If you made a trip only for the diagnosis, it's more likely that you'd get charged because a technician has to get the car inside and possibly up on a rack just to plug in their scan tool.  If you had a scheduled maintenance done, and they just had to plug it in while your car was already on the rack, it's no big deal, just a couple of extra minutes.  $87 sounds a little steep though.

I'm near Hartford, CT. When you say "pull a code" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean Auto Zone or Advance will hook up a OBD tool while I'm in their parking lot and give me a diagnosis for free?

When my check engine light comes on, the dealer used to diagnose the problem at no cost as part of the repair.  At my most recent visit, they wanted an hour's labor, $87! to perform the diagnosis.  Is this now standard procedure?