Front Brake Replacement?

bellachix

My 2009 Corolla is about to hit the 25,000 mile mark and I was told by the last mechanic that did the scheduled maintenance on it that I would need to replace the front brakes by then. 25,000 miles seems a little early to me and I want to be sure they're not trying to fool me because I'm a young girl who's clueless about cars. What's the average mileage for front brake replacement?

Unless you are extra hard on your brakes they should last 40,000 miles. There are wear indicators on the pads that emit a sound ( like a squealing or high pitched screeching sound ) when the pads are worn to the point that they should be replaced. I would wait until they make that sound. Or at least get a second opinion from another mechanic that you trust.

Unless you are extra hard on your brakes they should last 40,000 miles. There are wear indicators on the pads that emit a sound ( like a squealing or high pitched screeching sound ) when the pads are worn to the point that they should be replaced. I would wait until they make that sound. Or at least get a second opinion from another mechanic that you trust.

Thanks! I would say I'm really easy on my brakes, but I do remember hearing a high-pitched squealing sound during the summer when I had the windows down. I would hear it as soon as I started pressing down on the brake, but then it would stop when I pressed harder. Kinda sucks for me if I have to replace my brakes after only 25,000 miles knowing I'm not one of those people that slams on the brakes! I'm getting my maintenance done tomorrow at the Toyota dealership so I'll see what they have to say.

the sound is very high pitched. it would squeal all the time you have your foot on the brake, if you hear a grinding noise then it's gone past the warning point, which may involve you having to buy new disks, so best get them checked.

Pads shouldnt be too expensive to replace, you'll be suprised how easy it is for a mechanic to fit. Should take max an hour to fit or less.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about the brake pads, then 25,000 to 40,000 miles is about the right time to change them. Your mileage will vary & it is your decision when to do the brake service.

My 2009 Corolla is about to hit the 25,000 mile mark and I was told by the last mechanic that did the scheduled maintenance on it that I would need to replace the front brakes by then. 25,000 miles seems a little early to me and I want to be sure they're not trying to fool me because I'm a young girl who's clueless about cars. What's the average mileage for front brake replacement?