Oil change schedule

quonster

There should be a "severe" and "normal" schedule outlined in your owner's manual, never trust a sales person as far as you can throw them. Just follow the manual, you should fall under one of the categories mentioned earlier. "Severe" is defined as driving in stop-and-go situations, towing or driving in dusty conditions. "Normal" is driving mostly highways. I say if you fall in between the 2 categories then follow the "severe" schedule. Toyota "engineering" says follow your owner's manual, that's why it comes with the car.

Does your car come with synthetic oil? Toyota and Lexus are in the beginning stages of converting from 5k oil change intervals with regular oil to 10k intervals with a special synthetic blend (0w20, I think, with some sort of additive proprietary to Toyota). If you have regular oil, go with the 5k intervals; if you have synthetic, go with the 10k intervals. That does not mean you don't have a service every 5k, it just means that those in-between services aren't much more than a tire rotation and a checkup.

Your salesperson may not have realized that your car was one of the few that has already been converted to a 10k service schedule, because Toyota has been on a 5k service schedule for a long, long time, and this has only happened in the last few months. You'll want to verify with the service department to see if yours has synthetic or regular oil.

• 4 weeks later...

the sale person said every 5000 miles ; the book said 10,000 miles. what is toyota engineering say?

Here in Australia we work with kilometers not miles and oil changes are recommended at 10,000K intervals or 6 months which is a bit over 5,000 miles for normal driving conditions. Would recommend you stick to 5000 mile oil changes as information I have read suggests your American 3LTR V6 engines have been having problems with sludge. I, myself change my oil every 6 months and as I only cover a low amount of Ks in that time my oil changes occur at less than 5,000K intervals. What the hell its still cheap insurance! :)

• 4 months later...

At a cost of $35 per service, which includes an oil filter as well as a thorough check of everything every 3000 miles as well as the $5 tip and tax; the peace of mind purchased at that price seems to me not be worth the bother of quibbling. Consequence is that at the 161000 miles the car is like fresh out of the showroom with the advantage of no monthly payments

The car (Solara SLE V6) is still modern looking , does not look forlorn, and I have plans for it. Maintenance done properly a mechanical device will serve the master indefinitely.

23.gif

At a cost of $35 per service, which includes an oil filter as well as a thorough check of everything every 3000 miles as well as the $5 tip and tax; the peace of mind purchased at that price seems to me not be worth the bother of quibbling. Consequence is that at the 161000 miles the car is like fresh out of the showroom with the advantage of no monthly payments

The car (Solara SLE V6) is still modern looking , does not look forlorn, and I have plans for it. Maintenance done properly a mechanical device will serve the master indefinitely.

23.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!