98 Camry EGR Valve fail. :(

Naz

Hi all! It's been a while since I've last come to the forum, looks like a lots changed since I last visited!. Anyway I have come across a dilemma with my Camry. It is a 98 with about 198,000 miles on it and the check engine light recently came on. Got it diagnosed, said it would cost $750 to replace the EGR valve. Now with the cars age i'm not sure if I want to go ahead of replace it right now. The car was just inspected last month so I have almost a year until state inspection is due again so basically a year until I'd be forced to have the EGR valve taken care of. Any one else come across this issue? Is the EGR valve really completely shot? or could it be cleaned/mended in some way? Thanks!

Specs

1998 Camry 2.2L

198,000+

Most recent work:

New catalytic converter and flex pipe (damaged from a tow truck when it got towed away from being "illegally" parked)

Iridium spark plugs, new wires.

Timing belt, Accessory Belt, and a seal for the oil pump.

Other then that, the car still runs great and I don't really have any huge rush to get rid of it, only thing that makes me consider it, is from a financial aspect.

Was that a quote from the $tealer? I've heard of other vehicles that can have their EGR valve cleaned. Do you know where it's located on your car? You could probably find the part online and have a mechanic install it for you, it'd most likely be a lot cheaper.

Was that a quote from the $tealer? I've heard of other vehicles that can have their EGR valve cleaned. Do you know where it's located on your car? You could probably find the part online and have a mechanic install it for you, it'd most likely be a lot cheaper.

yess it was. The part is only $100 to purchase on ebay new with a 2 year warranty. Looking at the ehow.com etc. on how to replace the valve, it seems pretty straight forward. Might just have to go that route, $100 + elbow grease > $750. Looking around I found some people saying that by using a carb cleaner it was a good fix too. Anyone ever tried it?

• 3 weeks later...

yess it was. The part is only $100 to purchase on ebay new with a 2 year warranty. Looking at the ehow.com etc. on how to replace the valve, it seems pretty straight forward. Might just have to go that route, $100 + elbow grease > $750. Looking around I found some people saying that by using a carb cleaner it was a good fix too. Anyone ever tried it?

750 is outrageous. you can replace the ENTIRE egr system at a shop for less than that. there are three components that make up the egr system on that gen camry (i drive a 98 camry 2.2liter, and have had this same problem). what you need to do depends on exactly what the code it's running is. is it saying egr flow insufficient, or egr malfunction? if it's the insufficient code and not the malfunction code, take the valve out and spray it thoroughly with carb cleaner. as long as it's not stuck or cracked anywhere, you should be fine. also, while the valve is off, inspect the vacuum hoses that run to it....if they are clogged, remove them and follow the same process for cleaning (carb cleaner and inspect when dry). the other most common problem on this model is the modulator.....it's a device that opens/closes the egr valve by applying vacuum to the lines. if you have a repair manual for the car, there is a very simple procedure in it for checking the modulator and if i remember correctly all you need is a little hand pump for applying vacuum......

regardless, even if they had to replace every peice of the egr system on your car, it should still be under $700, and egr work is designed to be so simple that ANYONE can do it regardless of familiarity or knowledge of the system.