What service is needed for 2002 Avalon with 114K?

erom43

I have a 2002 XLS with 114,000 miles on it that has had very little service thus far, other than routine oil and filter changes. I had a 30K service done ($400), and alignment, coolant flush and induction service done at around 60K.....other than that just battery and filter replacements. I know the timing belt should be replaced, and have been advised to have the water pump done then as well. My question is what other service should I be considering at this time? Last year the Toyota dealership quoted me about $900 for the timing belt/water pump package, and $3500 for the complete 90,000 mile service package.....both prices seemed excessive to me......are they? It also seemed like I would be better off just picking and choosing the services I thought I really needed, rather than the entire recommended service package.

I am considering coolant and transmission drain and replace (told not to get tranny power flush), A/C filter inaddition to the TB replacement. I have not had any indication of a sludge problem thus far, but I am still leery of it. Do I need engine tune? induction service? new plugs? fuel filter? PCV valve, accessory belts? cam seals? I'd appreciate any input any of you have, including where to get the work done (dealer vs. independent shop) as well as ball park costs I should expect. Thanks.

You should probably do the complete timing belt service, plus tune-up, etc. You're due. $900 for the belt & water pump is pretty high, but doesn't sound too horribly bad...it's mostly labor, actually. The belt itself is about $60.

$3500 for the complete 90k service is not even close to the right price. I can't imagine the whole service being more than $1000-1200, worst case. Double check that price. Is it possibly they said $350 more, not $3500? $3500 is more like a new transmission price.

Get it done at a Toyota dealer, you'll have Toyota Certified tech work on it, and if there's any issues, it'll be warrantied for awhile. Get it done elsewhere, and it'll be cheaper.