Question: Corolla LE 2005 - 73K Miles

megsg

Hello Guys!!

Hope you all are doing great with your TOYOTA!!

I have brought my Corolla LE 2005 with 73K miles on it 3 months back. I just finished a regular oil change (after 2k miles). Now, I have been told that I should perform following repairs on it.....

1.) Replace Front Brake Pads

2.) Resurface front 2 brake rotors

3.) Replace SERP belt

I am not sure is it really worth of replacing following things due to limited knowledge in autos. So, wanted to know from any of you's experience whether these replacements really required. This car has already 73K miles.

Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Megan

It is very possible that you need new brake pads. They usually last about 40K miles. There are wear indicators on the pads (if they are toyota pads) that make a noise when applying the brakes when the pads are thin enough to need replacing. (The noise is a faint screeching sound). They can also be looked at visually to see if they need to be replaced.

Regarding resurfacing of rotors. It can be done but it is usually better to replace them with new ones. It is very difficult to resurface them without removing so much metal that they become susceptible to warpage.

The serpentine belt could be in need of replacement but usually after just 4 years and 73K miles it might still be good. Look for cracks in the rubber. That is a sign of needing to be replaced. It might be safe to get it replaced just to make sure it does not break. However I have 2 - 2000 Camrys that have their original serpentine belts (at 105K and 75K miles) so the condition of the belt must be determined by inspection. Maybe take the car to someone else you trust to get a 2nd opinion.

Hello Guys!!

Hope you all are doing great with your TOYOTA!!

I have brought my Corolla LE 2005 with 73K miles on it 3 months back. I just finished a regular oil change (after 2k miles). Now, I have been told that I should perform following repairs on it.....

1.) Replace Front Brake Pads

2.) Resurface front 2 brake rotors

3.) Replace SERP belt

I am not sure is it really worth of replacing following things due to limited knowledge in autos. So, wanted to know from any of you's experience whether these replacements really required. This car has already 73K miles.

Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Megan

I think the belt is due at 90k on your car; brakes are due whenever they wear out, and it's a good idea to resurface the rotors when you replace pads. Did someone tell you the brakes were worn out?

Yes. One of the michenic told me to repair/replace above mentioned parts. However, I was not sure due to a limited knowledge in autos and posted a question here. I was sure that I will get some good comments / suggestion from this site - and I was correct. :-)

Replace belt when it starts to squeal. Suggest using Goodyear Gatorbacks as they will not squeal even in the most humid weather.

Front brake pads, most likely correct.

Resurface rotors = not likely if you feel any pulsing when you are braking then yes do so, but I prefer buying new rotors.

I might have a Matrix, but it shares the same engine components as your generation Corolla.