Difference in US vs Japanese made Toyotas?

tmx

Hello everyone: I am new to this board and have a question.

Is there a significant difference in quality between a Toyota that was assembled in Japan vs one that is assembled in the USA?

I am in the market for a used Toyota and am choosing between two Corollas--a 1994 model made in Japan and the other a 1996 made in the USA.

Should this be a factor in my decision in which one to choose?

Hello everyone: I am new to this board and have a question.

Is there a significant difference in quality between a Toyota that was assembled in Japan vs one that is assembled in the USA?

I am in the market for a used Toyota and am choosing between two Corollas--a 1994 model made in Japan and the other a 1996 made in the USA.

Should this be a factor in my decision in which one to choose?

It shouldn't be a factor. They're pretty much the same quality-wise. The 1996 might be a better choice just because it's slightly newer.

Question, where do you live?

The Japan Corolla would be right hand drive aka steering wheel is on the right side of the car.

The US Corolla would be left hand drive aka the steering wheel would be on the left side of the car.

Quality wise: should be the same for either model. Just need to check the history and mileage on both Toyotas.

By the way, Welcome to TOC USA!!!

Question, where do you live?

The Japan Corolla would be right hand drive aka steering wheel is on the right side of the car.

The US Corolla would be left hand drive aka the steering wheel would be on the left side of the car.

Quality wise: should be the same for either model. Just need to check the history and mileage on both Toyotas.

By the way, Welcome to TOC USA!!!

Well, that's not exactly right...

If it's a Japanese built Corolla made for the US market, it's exactly the same as the US made Corolla, with the possible exception of a few bits of optional equipment that are only produced at one factory or the other. The Corollas are made in several locations worldwide, so it's more about the intended destination that anything else.

true, but we need to know where the OP lives to give a good response.

Corollas are currently manufactured in Japan, the United States (Fremont, California), the United Kingdom (Derbyshire), Canada (Cambridge, Ontario), Malaysia, China (Tianjin), Taiwan, South Africa, Brazil (Indaiatuba, São Paulo), Turkey, Philippines, Thailand, Venezuela, Pakistan, India and Indonesia.

I think for the North America market, the car would be designed (steering wheel location) for North American customers.

true, but we need to know where the OP lives to give a good response.

Corollas are currently manufactured in Japan, the United States (Fremont, California), the United Kingdom (Derbyshire), Canada (Cambridge, Ontario), Malaysia, China (Tianjin), Taiwan, South Africa, Brazil (Indaiatuba, São Paulo), Turkey, Philippines, Thailand, Venezuela, Pakistan, India and Indonesia.

I think for the North America market, the car would be designed (steering wheel location) for North American customers.

Yes, there's always that. I was assuming US residency. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Toyota does not export US built Corollas.