swaped out engine and it wont start

gtscorolla86hatch

ok, i end it up buying and replacing my engine out of the 2004 matrix. the engine i put in was out of a 2001 toyota corolla. my question is do i have to change the computer as well. the car dose not start the engine turns over has spark plenty of fuel i put a scanner on it to check all censors are ok.

the reason i ask this question is because i have had three different people tell me yes i need to no i dont i need some one that knows what there talking about. thank you.

2001 Corolla engine?

As long as it's the 1zz-fe motor it should work.

I believe you need to have a whole new ECU - one that goes with the 2001 motor to make it work.

2001 Corolla engine?

As long as it's the 1zz-fe motor it should work.

I believe you need to have a whole new ECU - one that goes with the 2001 motor to make it work.

yea its from a 2001 corolla and its a 1zzfe motor. do you think the computer needs to be reprogrammed if i got another one or will the ecu from a 2001 corolla work? i ordered one from a 2001 corolla with matching numbers on the ecu for $35.00 i figured what the hell it would not hurt my wallet to much.thanks for the feed back.

2001 ECU would be needed.

Toyota ECUs aren't known for allowing the public to alter the ECU, which is a big reason why there isn't a lot of aftermarket parts as compared to a Honda or Mitsubishi vehicle.

Question:

Engine bolt right up to the transmission?

If I recall correctly the Matrix had 3 or different transmissions (AWD, XRS 6-speed and I think 2 different trannys for the 1zz-fe motor).

Hopefully you get the Matrix up and running soon.

2001 ECU would be needed.

Toyota ECUs aren't known for allowing the public to alter the ECU, which is a big reason why there isn't a lot of aftermarket parts as compared to a Honda or Mitsubishi vehicle.

Question:

Engine bolt right up to the transmission?

If I recall correctly the Matrix had 3 or different transmissions (AWD, XRS 6-speed and I think 2 different trannys for the 1zz-fe motor).

Hopefully you get the Matrix up and running soon.

engine did bolt up to tranny with no problem. well i should be getting the ecu friday i hope and then i'll see what happens thanks for the help if there is anything you can think of let me know. thanks again.

no problem at all....

Curious as to what happend to your original motor on the 2004 Matrix?

remember when i posted wanting to know how much work was it to change the 1zzfe to a 2zzge? well i went ahead and put another 1zzfe motor in it

from day one this engine never felt right to begin with. as i took out the old motor out i noticed piston rod number 3 had shot through the bottom of the oil pan. i dont know what caused it but i have not had problems with toyota till i got this 04 matrix. maybe it was just a lemon i hope. as soon as i get the other ecu ill let you know what happens. hope it works.

I see.

Perhaps the motor threw a connecting rod due to being previously boosted aka supercharged.

It seems that a few Matrix owners who have had their car supercharged are having issues with the rods whether they are currently boosted or in the past.

Interesting since TRD has had the S/C available for the Matrix since it's inception.

I see.

Perhaps the motor threw a connecting rod due to being previously boosted aka supercharged.

It seems that a few Matrix owners who have had their car supercharged are having issues with the rods whether they are currently boosted or in the past.

Interesting since TRD has had the S/C available for the Matrix since it's inception.

this car was straight from the dealer we are the only owners i never put a supercharger or turbo this is a work car for my wife.i would have to agree with you on your previous statement it was a lemon. well i received the ecu today dose not match up to the harness. i did some checking and vin number on the engine it requires the computer from a/t ecu but my tranny is a 5 spd manual. i dont know what else to do. man this really sucks i have two more weeks to get it running. what the hell do i do now.

sorry to hear all the hassle you are going through...

options"

1) get an auto tranny for the car...

2) swap the engine for one mated to a 5-speed

or

3) buy a Yaris....

j/k

trying to inject some humor on this depressing situation....