Alternator going bad?

Naz

Hi, last winter back in feb. i started noticing some power issues with my car. When it was very cold below 30 degree's i'd notice that at stoplights the interior instruments and headlights would slightly dim then when i rev'ed up or started acclerationg they would all be slightly brighter. So I assumed it was my alternator since the battery had been replaced only a few months prior. However now that its summer, I see no problems anymore whatsoever with my power system, no diming of the lights at idle or anything. Anyone else hav this situation? and if so when did your alternator die? right now i'm at 10 years/162k.

Also anyone know if alternators can be serviced? A buddy of mine once told me that you can get the brushes in an alternator cleaned/replaced and its realatively inexpensive compared to the price of a new alternator.

Also anyone know if alternators can be serviced? A buddy of mine once told me that you can get the brushes in an alternator cleaned/replaced and its realatively inexpensive compared to the price of a new alternator.

Do you have an automotive electrical repair shop in your area? If you do they should be able to test and or repair your alternator. Most of these shops do alternator and starter repairs.

Depending on the shop and repiars required they may or not be less expensive that a rebuilt unit from a parts house.

Can you afford the down time of this car while a shop is testing or rebuilding your alternator?

Do you have an automotive electrical repair shop in your area? If you do they should be able to test and or repair your alternator. Most of these shops do alternator and starter repairs.

Depending on the shop and repiars required they may or not be less expensive that a rebuilt unit from a parts house.

Can you afford the down time of this car while a shop is testing or rebuilding your alternator?

hmm depends how long, the max downtime I could survive with would be 2 days on a weekend, since I need the car to go to work M-F. Do you think its worth it for me to get the alternator repaired/rested now? or wait till the condition shows again in the winter?

hmm depends how long, the max downtime I could survive with would be 2 days on a weekend, since I need the car to go to work M-F. Do you think its worth it for me to get the alternator repaired/rested now? or wait till the condition shows again in the winter?

Naz,

I would check the local shops to see if any of them are open on Saturday & Sunday. Most of them around here are not.

I am not sure if they can test the alternator output in the vehicle or not. From your previous description you may have some other problems that would take time to diagnose. In the winter how cold was it and was the car idling a little slower?

Are you going to remove and install the alternator yourself? If so depending how cold it gets where you live you might find it more comfortable to do this at your convenience rather than the cars. I.e. -30 degrees and blowing.

Roy

in the winter it would be in the teens to low 20's and the car idle high when on a cold start like normal and then drop down to a low idle like normal within 5 mins and i wouldn't expierence any electrical issues but once i started driving heat on, stero on at redlights i'd experince slight dimming of the intrument pannel then it would become normal again once i started driving/built up the revs past the 700rpm idle.

Have the entire charging system checked, even the battery.

It does sound like the alternator is the issue.

I think your local auto parts store can check your alternator for you, most are free.