Navigation system

Skinny

Is there any way to get a better CD that controls the navigation system? I don't like the voice giving directions. I also wonder why it is not possible for a passenger to use the navigation system while the car is moving? I understand safety as the reason the driver cannot navigate while the car is moving, but the seat belts know when a passenger is uckled, why not interconnect the seat belt information to allow a passenger to navigate?Finally are there different navigation systems available for the car? It is just a CD, so why couldn't thre be different options for different tastes?

Is there any way to get a better CD that controls the navigation system? I don't like the voice giving directions. I also wonder why it is not possible for a passenger to use the navigation system while the car is moving? I understand safety as the reason the driver cannot navigate while the car is moving, but the seat belts know when a passenger is uckled, why not interconnect the seat belt information to allow a passenger to navigate?Finally are there different navigation systems available for the car? It is just a CD, so why couldn't thre be different options for different tastes?

The DVD (not CD) is only data. It has the maps, and some of the loading software. The firmware is actually in the nav system. Think of the nav system as the computer and operating system, and the DVD as a program running on it within the operating system. The only way to overide the latest nav system is to disconnect the speed sensor.

well i can help you out to make the passenger be able to operate the nav system while your driving. If you access the service menu from the nav you can override it.

1)Go to the menu for the volume of the navigation

2)Touch the upper left corner of the screen

3)touch the bottom left corner of the screen

4)Touch the upper left corner again

5)touch the bottom left corner again

6)the service menu should come up

7)Find the button labeled "override" hold it until the car beeps

Enjoy being able to let the passenger find POI's while driving!

• 1 month later...

If for some reason you have the DVD that will not let you use that very easy trick. There is a certain file (LOADING.kwi ) that is on the new DVD that has been changed. You will need to copy the old DVD to your computer, then copy the new DVD (because of the new maps) to your computer get ( LOADING.kwi ) which lets you get to the service menu. Then find ( LOADING.kwi ) in the new DVD and replace it. Once that is done copy the new DVD to a Dual layer DVD and then put it in the car. You will then have to take the Negative battery terminal off so that you will ERASE the mem from the unit. Once you wait at-least 5 to 10 mins you will connect it back and then the DVD will load the OLD file you copied to the mem of the unit and you will have the service menu back.

95braves@comcast.net

Very easy to do and should take about 20 mins to do. No cutting of wires or removing the head unit.

Also found out that if you do remove the head unit and you get a xm radio mod for it you can install the xm mod under the head-unit without putting it in the rear. And the install takes less than 30 mins from start to finish. If any one lives in the Harrisburg, PA area i can do this install as well as fix the disk.

Edited by braves95

• 4 weeks later...
well i can help you out to make the passenger be able to operate the nav system while your driving. If you access the service menu from the nav you can override it.

1)Go to the menu for the volume of the navigation

2)Touch the upper left corner of the screen

3)touch the bottom left corner of the screen

4)Touch the upper left corner again

5)touch the bottom left corner again

6)the service menu should come up

7)Find the button labeled "override" hold it until the car beeps

Enjoy being able to let the passenger find POI's while driving!

I tried this and it didn't work. I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid. Is the above procedure for an earlier model only?

Thanks

Roger

If for some reason you have the DVD that will not let you use that very easy trick. There is a certain file (LOADING.kwi ) that is on the new DVD that has been changed. You will need to copy the old DVD to your computer, then copy the new DVD (because of the new maps) to your computer get ( LOADING.kwi ) which lets you get to the service menu. Then find ( LOADING.kwi ) in the new DVD and replace it. Once that is done copy the new DVD to a Dual layer DVD and then put it in the car. You will then have to take the Negative battery terminal off so that you will ERASE the mem from the unit. Once you wait at-least 5 to 10 mins you will connect it back and then the DVD will load the OLD file you copied to the mem of the unit and you will have the service menu back.

95braves@comcast.net

Very easy to do and should take about 20 mins to do. No cutting of wires or removing the head unit.

Also found out that if you do remove the head unit and you get a xm radio mod for it you can install the xm mod under the head-unit without putting it in the rear. And the install takes less than 30 mins from start to finish. If any one lives in the Harrisburg, PA area i can do this install as well as fix the disk.

Any suggestions as to where I might get an old DVD (pre 2008?) for the replacement?

Thanks (I also sent an email to you before I registered to this site)

Roger

This is has been a source of aggravation for me since December when I got my 2008 GS. The 2007 only took a month or two to find a software override; the 2008 was impossible!!! I now have a physical switch that temporarily disconnects the speed sensor....works extremely well as I have access to everything: phone, audio controls, settings, nav stuff...everything behaves like the car is parked until I hit the switch again.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything that I have seen indicates that the override switch has been removed altogether from the system on disks v6.1 and beyond. There is a website out there dedicated to trying to encourage folks to start up a class action lawsuit against toyota's "big mother" tactics ... not sure how effective it is but I would think an appropriate response would be "get a life!". I am all about getting the limit removed, but just don't know where people have all that time.

I have a disk that is the 6.1 data with the old loading file ... seems to work fine although once in awhile the unit has a problem reading it ... generally fixed by pulling it out and putting it back in again. Probably more an issue with the DVD than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to make a disc (a few actually...and I've had success with 2007s), but I guess there's something in the 2008 Lexus GS that prevents it from working. The switch is working beautifully though, as I have access to EVERYTHING while the car is moving.