2009 Corolla 1.8 200k Low Compression on 3 & 4

JayKay

90 psi approx. on 1 & 2

60 psi approx. on 3 & 4

Starts and idles a little rough with no load but as soon as you put it in Drive it runs very uneven and has low power. When you try to accelerate, there’s a loud “clatter” from the engine. Hard to describe a sound but light, not rod bearings. Almost like detonation  although I don’t think it is detonation.

New coil packs and plugs on all 4 cylinders. Injectors cleaned and tested. Borescope on 3 & 4 looks OK but you can’t see much , pistons look reasonably clean and not damaged.

Could be the head gasket has failed between the two cylinders? No sign of oil or coolant contamination. Also, I don’t think that would explain the noise.

Could it be the valve gear? I’m not familiar with these engines with variable valve timing. Is it possible something’s wrong with the valve gear, possibly the valve timing?

Any help to diagnose this problem is much appreciated. JayKay aka John Kenneth

Corolla motor L 02-24.jpg

My first thoughts are that you may have gone through deep water and induced some into the cylinders.
A wet air filter which may have dried out and will look very crinkled would be an indicator of this.

When this occurs it creates a hydraulic lock which then bends the con-rods and slightly reduces the compression pressures in some of the cylinders but can leave the engine running fine but with the bottom of the piston skirt slightly contacting the crankshaft counterweights which can give that noise. Once the skirt is worn away then the noise disappears and leaves no trace that the rods are slightly bent except for the reduced power and slight lumpiness