Creaking noise from brake pedal mechanism

JayKay

2007 Avalon 132K Recently purchased. Brakes work fine but pedal has a little resistance when first pressed and "creaking" noise when pressing or releasing brake pedal. Seems to be coming from white plastic cylinder (see photo - with rubber bellows pushed back ) This cylinder is lubricated and does not seem to be binding. Noise seems to be coming from booster on the other side of the firewall but booster seems to work fine.

Previous owner said he had recently changed the master cylinder.

Anyone else encountered this problem? And any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks, all help is much appreciated. John Kenneth

Avalon Brake Mechanism 02-24.jpg

I know the noise you are referring to and I would be tempted to believe it is coming from the master cylinder side rather than the pedal side.

It may just be worth pulling the master cylinder back from the servo and visually ensuring the actuating rod is in place and that nothing is untoward in the vicinity (leaking master cylinder, actuator rod not rubbing against anything, etc)

Also worth checking the vacuum pipe connection is secure as sometimes if leaking it can create a rasping sound when the pedal is applied.
This also applies to the pedal side where it can also be heard when the pedal is applied as the valve switches from vacuum to ambient air which works the servo diaphragm. If this is the case then you may need a new brake servo

Thank you, very good advice. the sound is "hollow" to try and describe it and sounds and feels as if it has something to do with the servo/booster diaphragm. I can't get to it for a few days but will report back with results.