Locating VSS Pin 17 on Vehicle Control Module

Bertie

I’ve just installed a new aftermarket radio in a 2006 Corolla. The last wire that needs connecting is the Vehicle Speed Sense (VSS). The instructions say it needs to connect to Pin 17 Speed Sense VSS. Located at the ECM 35-pin plug beneath the glove box.

Are the pin plugs actually numbered? I’m a little color-blind so identifying a Violet/White wire is not helpful. The wires are so densely packed together. And there are more than one wire-harness connected to the ECM. 

I went to the local Toyota service shop for help and I was told that the speed sense comes from the ABS system. So that seems to contradict the installation instructions.

I haven’t had any success finding a diagram that shows the pin layout of the ECM.

I wouldn't be too worried about connecting into that circuit as it only adjusts the volume up and down depending on road speed.
Given that you could inadvertently affect electronic control systems for the added advantage of volume control, I personally don't think its worth the risk

My thought is that I think it affects access to feature on my radio. I can’t adjust the radio touchscreen settings because the radio says I’m “driving” when I have the key turned to ACC. So the radio may default to driving mode unless it receives a signal from VSS. 

• Like 1