2022 Highlander hybrid AWD mpg highway

TLecon

Hi all, I bought my 2022 AWD Highlander Hybrid just a few months ago (brand new) and for some time I was quite happy with its fuel efficiency (it typically got me about 35 miles/gallon). That said I took it for a long road trip this past Christmas and its fuel efficiency was horrendous (24-25 miles/gallon). As you know this trip was during a quite cold period so I had the heater run pretty much nonstop throughout the trip, but I didn’t expect my car’s fuel efficiency to fall by THAT much from the advertised 35mpg Highway. Are there any tips that can help me get better fuel efficiency on my road trip back home? Thanks!

On 1/2/2023 at 4:41 PM, TLecon said:

Hi all, I bought my 2022 AWD Highlander Hybrid just a few months ago (brand new) and for some time I was quite happy with its fuel efficiency (it typically got me about 35 miles/gallon). That said I took it for a long road trip this past Christmas and its fuel efficiency was horrendous (24-25 miles/gallon). As you know this trip was during a quite cold period so I had the heater run pretty much nonstop throughout the trip, but I didn’t expect my car’s fuel efficiency to fall by THAT much from the advertised 35mpg Highway. Are there any tips that can help me get better fuel efficiency on my road trip back home? Thanks!

Just a thought: paying more attention to mileage while driving results in poor mileage. It turns out that over-optimization reduces efficiency.

Keep it in ECO mode and drive without looking at the mileage. It has proven to be more effective for me.