1989 "Pickup" No start condition when hot

This 5th gen pickup (190k) has been in the family for 26 years and has been indestructible. The past couple years an issue arose.

Issue: The truck runs absolutely fine, but when its warm and you shut it off, it wont start, but its cranks fine. After sitting for 5-20 minutes, starts like nothing ever happened. Fires up cold perfectly every time.

Diagnostics: Pulling the coil wire from the ignitor to check for spark, there is NO SPARK.
Checking for fuel injector pulse with a node light, fuel injectors are NOT GETTING CURRENT.
So something is wrong that controls both. Again its cranking like normal. No check engine light. 

Replaced: I've replaced a lot without any luck: ignitor, coil, distributor (crank sensor inside), MAF mass airflow sensor.

One more note: In the summer the truck also sometimes stalled, and when it shut off, you had to wait 5-20 minutes to start it again which almost caused an accident on the hwy. Not sure if this is related or not, but the stalling issue magically disappeared now (winter). Regardless, everything seems to be worse in the hot summer.

Please help, I used to live in this truck and drive across country, would love to confidently get back on the road!

snip 1.png

snip 4.jpg

snip 2.jpg

snip 3.jpg

• Like 1

89 pickup beast;

Very strange issue you have. You need a good mechanic to fix. I own a 2005 4runner with 205,000 miles and it starts and runs immediately every time you turn the key, and has never had any issues in 17 years. Bad coil?? Starter?

But listen up....

I had to replace 4 starters in my 2005 4runner along the way. The OEM lasted 4 years. Replacements lasted 4 years also - but they failed too. Current starter is now 6 years old and came with a lifetime warrantee. I called the number on the box and the girl said if it ever fails call them and they will send me a new one!! No return requested.

When my starters failed you could smack it once to get it to start with just the key, but after that you were done.

Send your email and I'll send you the manufacturer on the starter box (and post it here) of the current starter that is now 6 years old+.

taxman@batelnet.bs or havens67@gmail.com

I'm in the sunny tax free Bahamas.

Tom

BTW pickup beast ... ... Your issue is not the starter It sounds like a faulty coil to me.

IMG_6056 (1).jpg

Edited by BahamasTom
edit heading?
  • Like 1

What a fantastic truck, quite envious!

I would say it is definitely resistance related fault in a sensor or output such as a module.

Once it cools down then the resistance returns to normal and no problems.
Crankshaft position sensors are renowned for this, I know you said you changed it out but new ones can be bad from the manufacturer?

Worth checking everything again and also look at any connections because they can suffer the same issue