Swap factory CD for factory CD Changer without amp??

spkack

Just found this forum while searching for info on my newly purchased Corolla. Thanks for all the great information here!

I have 2004 Corolla LE with factory installed AM/FM single CD. A friend is offering to sell me his Toyota factory CD changer (JBL) from his Corolla as he is upgrading to a different head unit. I can physically swap the radios myself, but will I need to also install the factory amp to get the factory JBL CD changer to work? I'm not sure if my friend's Corolla has a factory amp or not.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Are you talking about the 6 disc in-dash CD changer? What year/model is it from?

Yes, talking about removing the single cd factory installed unit in my 2004 Corolla and replacing it with the 6 disc changer factory unit from a 2004 Corolla. I'm just not sure if there is anything more to it than swapping the units out.

They have funny thing with older Saabs (prior O-Bus equiped vehicles). A DICE module is "married" to a factory stereo. If you just pull it out and put it in the other Saab it will not work, because it is still "married" to a DICE module of the old car :lol: You first have to "divorce" the module from the old car, then "divorce" your old stereo from your car and then "marry" it to your car's DICE module :lol:

It's like a soap opera :lol:

• 1 month later...

yeah i once had a corolla loaner car when i put my camry in for service and it had JBL sound w/6 disc changer double DIN factory headunit. You should be able to just stick the JBL system into your double DIN slots and it should work like a charm. Although the JBL system is made for 8 speakers where as your car i believe would only have 4? Don't know exactly how that would work out though. because the way the base system is set up is that it has 4 speakers each speaker having a cone and a tweeter, However the JBL set up has 8 and uses a component set up where u have 2 Separate Tweeters and 2 Separate Cones and 4 normal cone/twetter combination speakers. 2+2+4=8. But i'm sure you can figure it out lol you could probably just ignore the 4 connections on the back for the 2tweeters and 2 cones and just use the 4 connections on the back for the normal cone/tweeter speakers.