Trip Computer Accuracy

Chitownblue

I recently purchased a 2005 4-cyl XLE, and have been extremely happy. I am concerned about the difference between the trip computer's calculated "average MPG" and my calculation (total miles driven divided by gallons at fill-up).

After (3) fill-ups, the computer estimates 31-32 MPG and my calculation is around 26 MPG. I live in the Chicago suburbs, which requires the use of low pollutant gasoline.

Does anyone have this same situation, and has discussed this with their dealer?

Thank you for your help.

Hi, and welcome to the club! :D

What you need to bear in mind, is the car works out miles travelled vs fuel used.

Its hard for an in-car Trip computer to be 100% accurate, as it cannot take into consideration stationary consumption, and especially stop/start running.

I wouldnt worry too much, there doesnt seem to be a large descrepency between your calcultion and what the car is saying, and as you mention, you live in a city, so I do imagine you have a lot of stop/start driving..

• 11 months later...

Hi, and welcome to the club! :D

What you need to bear in mind, is the car works out miles travelled vs fuel used.

Its hard for an in-car Trip computer to be 100% accurate, as it cannot take into consideration stationary consumption, and especially stop/start running.

I wouldnt worry too much, there doesnt seem to be a large descrepency between your calcultion and what the car is saying, and as you mention, you live in a city, so I do imagine you have a lot of stop/start driving..

I've got an 05 Salara SLE with the V6. The computor consistently tells me I'm getting 2 - 2.5 MPG higher than my actual mileage. This has been the way it's been since new, over 15,000 miles ago. The dealer calls this "within specifications"! It's not worth getting crazy over. I live in the suburbs and drive a mixture of highway and local roads. The typical MPG is 22, which isn't bad. I enjoy the car. Good luck with yours.

Welcome to the board.

Does your commute mean you have to go back and forth from Rockford or just from Schaumberg?

For some reason, Toyota seems to overstate the CITY mileage estimates, but not the HIGHWAY mileage estimates. Perhaps they don't know what's it's like to be sitting under the L in snow in the morning.

Nevertheless, Fidgits is right about the computer.

You can thank Cook County for your gas quality.