2001 Camry timingchain

chuckgodman

Timing chains aren't normally on the maintenance schedule as they have a tendency to last forever. Timing belts are the ones that need to be changed, usually somewhere in the 60k-90k range, depending on the age of the Toyota.

Exactly which motor do you have, by the way? I had a Camry in that model range, and it had a belt instead of a chain. I had the V6, but I'm pretty sure the 4cylinder had a timing belt too...I don't think the Camry went to a timing chain until the 2002MY and newer...???

Check out this site: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php. This will give you a complete itemization of what needs to be done and when to your car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 98 camry I4, and my motor has a timing belt that I replace between 70-90K. Once it gets past 70 i'd regularly check on the belt and look for any signs of excess wear and tear. For me at least I do like to do things early so that I dont have to worry about anything in the back of my head while i'm driving so I just change it at 70K on the dot.

Timing chains aren't normally on the maintenance schedule as they have a tendency to last forever. Timing belts are the ones that need to be changed, usually somewhere in the 60k-90k range, depending on the age of the Toyota.

Exactly which motor do you have, by the way? I had a Camry in that model range, and it had a belt instead of a chain. I had the V6, but I'm pretty sure the 4cylinder had a timing belt too...I don't think the Camry went to a timing chain until the 2002MY and newer...???

Check out this site: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php. This will give you a complete itemization of what needs to be done and when to your car.

• 15 years later...
On 11/10/2007 at 6:14 PM, chuckgodman said:

Does any members know that how long 2001 Camry timingchain lasts?How often does the timingchain need to be replaced? And what are the signs of a timingchain that needs to be replaced? Thanks.

There is no definitive answer to how long they last,when some thing else happens such as a chain guide or tensioner going out may damage the chain,toyota timing chains are good quality