Thoughts after a week of ownership

oldnslo

Hi all,

after owning an 08 Camry SE for a week here are our thoughts about this vehicle.

Pros:

Wife loves the looks and handling.

Engine and trans are smooth. Can hardly feel the tranny shift.

Easier to get in and of than the 2000 Grand Am. I suspect this is because you sit higher in the SE.

Power seat: Can be fine tuned for fit but this takes forever to do. (see below)

Dash instruments are WELL lit. Looks like the cockpit on a plane.

Cons:

Power seat; takes forever to adjust from me driving to my wife driving.

No illumination on the door controls. I.e. door lock switch, window controls.

No illumination for the mirror controls. At night changing drivers this is an issue.

No illumination of the center console.

I am sure most of the Cons will dissapear in time but these are the initial observations.

Funky shift pattern. It seemed like most of the new cars are going with some strange shift pattern. Is there a reason for this? Safety, looks, cause they can, etc...

No memory seats?

Funky shift pattern? Do you mean the gated shifter? If so, you'll get used to that. I have it, and I don't have to look at the shifter anymore because I know what gear I'm in by how many "steps" it goes through. It's also tough to accidentally knock the transmission into another gear, which is a nice plus.

No memory seats?

Funky shift pattern? Do you mean the gated shifter? If so, you'll get used to that. I have it, and I don't have to look at the shifter anymore because I know what gear I'm in by how many "steps" it goes through. It's also tough to accidentally knock the transmission into another gear, which is a nice plus.

Unless I misread the owners manual, memory seats where an option that is not on this car. I would trade them the stupid Blue tooth BS for some thing that would be a lot more useful. Note: Just my opinion since I don't have a cell phone and think they are just another distraction for drivers.

Not sure if what we have would be called a gated shifter:

Shift pattern is:

Push to the right and pull back one notch is reverse.

Pull to left and back on notch is neutral.

Pull back another notch is 5th or drive.

Pull to left is 4th.

pull back is 3rd.

Push to the right is 2nd.

Pull back is 1st.

Once you learn it, it is not that difficult and like you say it will prevent going from 5th to 1st because your toddler grabbed the shifter.

Too bad about the seats...they're very nice when you have two drivers with significant height differences.

Sounds like a gated shifter to me. You'll really start to like it soon.

As for Bluetooth: very cool also once you get used to it. It takes a cell phone call from being extremely distracting to about the same distraction level as a conversation with a passenger in the car. At a minimum, it would useful in the event of a problem or an emergency.