newbie here with a few questions

oldnslo

Hi all,

as the title says this is my first post and I am quite honestly llooking for information about what to consider when shopping for Camry. Current ride is a 2000 Grand Am that I am tired of fixing.

Probably looking at an 06 or newer depending on availabilty. Probably also the V6, I doubt my better half will settle fot the 4 cylinder. As we all know "if she ain't happy, you ain't happy"

Is there some features on these vehicles that require more frequent maintenace or repairs?

Some model years better than others?

Is there sight where this info is already posted? I tried a search but did not have any luck.

Thanks

oldnslo

Welcome!

The Camry is really a great car. I'd say the 1992 and newer are definitely the best ones. The 1997-2002 models are very nice, very reliable, and have gotten a LOT cheaper lately because they're now 2 bodystyles old. The 2003-2006 bodystyle is very nice, but a bit bland. The 2003-2006 will occasionally have some of the newer technology like Navigation. The 4 cylinder motor in the 2003 and newer Camrys is very powerful, but a little noisy (still much quieter than your Grand Am, and more powerful than the Grand Am). The V6 motor is excellent, very smooth, quiet, and powerful. With proper maintenance, any Camry should easily last 200,000 or 300,000 miles with minimal repairs. Don't be afraid to buy one with higher mileage. Of course, have it checked out first to make sure it hasn't been abused.

Problems: there's been some history of sludging on the V6 motors, but I've noticed that it's usually limited to those brainless drivers who neglect to change their oil on a regular basis (or ever). Toyota is also covering many of the motors under warranty if sludging occurs, assuming you can prove some basic maintenances. There's also some concerns about how hard the transmission shifts.

I personally owned a 1998 Camry V6 that I purchased at 145k, drove 3 years (not gently or slowly, I might add), and sold at 175k for a little more than I paid for it because it was still in fantastic shape mechanically and in appearance. During that time, the only thing that went wrong was a power window switch with a short in it and a clogged fuel filter. One of the nice things about Toyotas is that even with high miles, they're worth a decent amount of money and they're very reliable.

Toyota has a nice program for Certified Used Cars, and often has special finance rates for CPO cars at Toyota dealerships.

A great place for research is Edmunds.com. Check out the research used cars pages, and look at the Town Hall section.

Leighcm,

thanks for the info. Wife and I went and test drove a Solara and Camry SE last night. She liked the lookes of the SE more than the Solara which surprised me. Also was very happy with the 4 banger Vs V6. Will have to do a little more shopping but will most likely have an 07 or 08 in the garage with-in a month.

thanks again

Leighcm,

thanks for the info. Wife and I went and test drove a Solara and Camry SE last night. She liked the lookes of the SE more than the Solara which surprised me. Also was very happy with the 4 banger Vs V6. Will have to do a little more shopping but will most likely have an 07 or 08 in the garage with-in a month.

thanks again

Yes, the 2.4 liter is a really great engine. Lots of power, great mileage. I found it to be a little thrashy/loud, but it makes up for it with the mileage the V6 doesn't have. The new SE Camry is a gorgeous car....Toyota has done some beautiful design work on that vehicle.

Yes, the 2.4 liter is a really great engine. Lots of power, great mileage. I found it to be a little thrashy/loud, but it makes up for it with the mileage the V6 doesn't have. The new SE Camry is a gorgeous car....Toyota has done some beautiful design work on that vehicle.

Leighcm,

I plan on making an offer on the SE tonight IF work doesn't get in the way. Wife really liked the looks and handling Vs the Solara. To her the Solara was to "Plain Jane" NOTE: Solara was an 07 but the 08 didn't look any different to me.

Side note: Shift pattern will take some getting used to Vs the Grand Am.

thanks

Roy